Anyone Install Their Own Window Tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can easily get the windows out of the doors, its not too bad. I thought about doing this with the pre cuts but the guy who did my front windows is so affordable for doing the rest Im just gonna have him do it., Wants $140 to do the rear 5 windows.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put that on my 01 years ago. Stuff was fine, no scratches from inside felts and lasted until I sold it 12 yrs later

ta6point6litre

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been looking at tinting my own windows and have watched a few videos on it. Just wondering if anyone has done this themselves? I was looking into pre-cut tint such as this...

View attachment 261357

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I’ve never done this before!

I have used the pre-cut tint several times now and it is definitely worth doing it yourself. You will need a spray bottle full of soapy water, a squeegee, and a hair drier or heat gun. Baby shampoo works best for the soapy water. Remove your door panels and the window sweep. Clean both sides of your window glass and put you window down about an inch or two. Spray the hell out of both sides of the glass and both sides of the tint with the soapy water. They begin to peel off the tint from the backing, spraying generously with the soapy water. Place the tint on the inside of the glass and slide it around until you are happy with the placement, you want a small gap all the way around the top edge. One you have the placement you like, start squeegeeing out the water. Use the hair dryer as needed on any areas that need it. Roll up the windows and continue to squeegee out the water down to the bottom of the window. After an hour or two you can put the door panels back on. Wait at least a day or 2 before rolling your windows down. For $13 on eBay and a little work you can't beat it.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Decided to give it a whirl. Heck, got baby shampoo already that I use on my prosthetic eye. Good to know it works for window tinting too!

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my garage windows in a mirror tint. Take your time and make sure the window is clean. My windows came out great but it's not professional. And it was my garage so not as worried as if it was my vehicle.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I did my garage windows in a mirror tint. Take your time and make sure the window is clean. My windows came out great but it's not professional. And it was my garage so not as worried as if it was my vehicle.

Great idea for tinting the garage windows. When we were deciding on putting Windows in our garage I didn’t like the idea thinking people could look in and see if we were gone or not.

As for taking my time...I am certainly doing so. Much like the guy who walks back and forth to a cliff edge to jump in the water below. I’ve had the tint now since Nov 2 begging to be put on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094