Anyone install exhaust manifold clamps to help broken studs? ***Updated***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Chevy truck with a 5.3 and developed an exhaust leak from broken exhaust studs. Of course, this made me want to check the studs on my 07 Tahoe. I do not have an exhaust leak yet, but the heads of the rear most studs (closest to the tail pipe) on both the passenger and the driver side exhaust manifolds have broken off.

I bought some of the Kral (KAP) clamps that bolt into existing holes on the head and clamp the exhaust manifold down where the stud is broken thinking that I am going to save myself a huge repair extracting the studs from the head.

On the driver's side, the clamp uses the bolt that holds the engine ground strap and also another hole on the back of the head.

Has anyone here ever installed these on a 07-14 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade??? For the life of me, I can not get a socket on the driver's side ground strap. There just doesn't seem to be enough room. I tried from the top and bottom. The ground strap is crimped close to the hole that the bolt fastens it to the head goes through; so it seems to need a socket instead of a wrench. The wrench will not slip over the bolt head because of the crimped part of the ground strap.

Has anyone had better luck? I could use some pointers.

Thanks

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a number of threads on this topic in the Forum, and many folks have successfully used these clamps. If remember correctly, Dorman also makes these clamps.

Other folks on the Forum with direct experience with these clamps will chime in.

OP
OP
S

Scrapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Although I am new to this site, I did try the search function before posting this thread and had no luck.

I found some pretty good information through Google, in threads that were also from this site. I don't know why they didn't show up in the searches I did here?!?

Here is one I am reading now that is pretty in depth.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Although I am new to this site, I did try the search function before posting this thread and had no luck.

I found some pretty good information through Google, in threads that were also from this site. I don't know why they didn't show up in the searches I did here?!?

Thanks. Hopefully you are on the right track.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The search function on this Forum leaves a lot to be desired. Many folks like yourself have better luck with performing a Google search with the key word 'tahoeyukonforum' added to whatever your primary search keywords are.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this helps you guys...it's been a few years and the Kral clamps are still there going strong. I've actually had replacement manifolds, gaskets and bolts in garage for over 2 years but haven't done them yet since the clamps eliminated the noise. Not the right answer, I know but other priorities come first.

If link doesn't work search for "manifold clamp" and my username below it.

oh05ext

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had 2 broken bolts in the back of both cylinder heads on my 05 denali. I tried to use the one on the rear drivers side and it was too tight of a fit for me to do with the dorman clamp kit. All of mine broke above the cylinder head so I just took my time and pulled the manifolds loose and used vice grips to turn the broken bolts out. I got lucky. If your handy its not too bad of a job, taking my time was about 4hrs per side give of take between beers.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 yrs and 40k miles ago installed 3 APDTY brand clamps/bridges:

Exhaust Manifold clamp, back driver side – APDTY# 028218

Exhaust manifold clamps, frt driver side & back pass – APDTY#028253

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had two broken on the front right of the motor. Was able to extract the second bolt, but the first (front of motor) I had to clamp. Been on for 10k miles and had to re-tighten once at about 2k. Hasn't made a peep since. I did replace all of the other exhaust bolts at the same time to hopefully prevent more breaks. I used the dorman clamp and header bolts.

Jeremiah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts