Anyone have rodent issues with their Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did on my previous one, under the hood. It was not a daily driver. After the wires were repaired I kept a low wattage light bulb in there light overnights and that solved the issue. The culprits were field mice who are nocturnal and avoid light. Another thing to try is to mount a trap on velcro in there, but there is always the chance of harming birds in the daytime.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the interior, afew drops of spearmint or peppermint oil keeps them out for two weeks, does nothing in a big space. I tried everything for field mice in the camper, finally found they were getting in at the battery vent door after six tries sealing everything underneath, they were jumping 20 inches. My favorite for the truck was cedar block. Neighbor had trouble with squirrels and chipmunks (he said) chewing wires. Chipmunks by me just carried hickory nuts into all the crevices in and under the hood. every time I opened it could hear the marbles. In the old suburban, the mice were stopped by a snap trap- the vee shaped plastic ones- unbaited against the door pillar. They run along walls. Good luck!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Little suckers use the block walls in our neighborhood as rat/mouse superhighway. They’re smart and pick up pieces of dog turds and put it in the bait station so predators smell dog inside.

Fortunately, those rat/mouse AirBnb bait stations have 10 rat kabobs inside. They’re forced to consume them inside. The exterminator and I always get a kick out of seeing all the rat kabob poison replaced with dog turds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
I found out where the mice were coming into my garage - and put down glue traps. Yes - it's obvious that they suffer. That is part of the allure if you ask me. Most animals will shy away from areas where others of their kind run into danger - mice are no exception.

"Don't go there - you can hear the screams of the dead !!".

The first year I put out glue traps - I probably got 45 mice over the course of the winter. Now - I pull maybe 5 or 6 over the course of the winter. The glue traps are probably cruel - but don't want to leave poison out either because there are other animals (like the neighbor's cat) - that comes thru on occasion.

I used to be "nice" about this. But after a chewed up Suburban , a peed-in Acura, a motorcycle with a chewed thru hydraulic system , mouse crap in my toolbox - with wrecked tools - I have a adopted a scorched earth policy. Mice have cost me thousands and thousands of dollars - and who knows how much time. Now I just kill them as quickly and as efficiently as I can.

I read a story many years ago - about how deer in one of the large Army bases down south - will gravitate towards the artillery range during hunting season. They did the calculation apparently that the artillery range was safer than the surrounding woods as far as their odds of dying goes. Stuff like is why I say: animals aren't completely stupid - at least when it comes to their chances of dying an ugly death.

If the tortured screams of dying mice tell the other ones to stay the hell out of my garage - well then make it so. All the other animals in my yard seem to understand not to screw my stuff. The rabbits, the chipmunks, the gophers..... etc. So I leave them alone. If the mice would figure this out - they would get left alone too..
I'm with you!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an awesome easy trap, but they don't seem to be looking for food. They ignore bait :(

I read somewhere that in our type of ecosystem that there are cycles of increased rodent population like this and that it is natural when the conditions are just right- plenty of food, good climate etc.

We'd have to cut down all of our trees on our 5 acres in order to get rid of the food source (acorns).
if you put food they will come. you can use Pizza mice love pizza easy pickings for the lazy mice

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks! Mice are certainly opportunistic with the pandemic, that's for sure! Unfortunately even with daily driving they still stayed in the vehicle! There was 3 or 4 times that I drove over an hour and I'd stop and a mouse would come running out of my engine and jump down to the parking lot.

At least your mouse became visible on the outside of the car. My wife had a mouse episode where the mouse became visible WITHIN the car, as it ran up her leg and onto the seat. Needless to say, I had a mouse-hunting and eviction job, when she returned to the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14