Anyone ever snap a harmonic balancer bolt in crank??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
im in a pickle..replaced my oil pump. Put the balancer back on, hand threaded 3-4 threads and then torqued it to 240ft lbs with the old bolt like ALLDATA stated. Went on with about 60lbs or torque (including resistance of balancer being pushed on).

Went to reverse the bolt out and I got about 2 twist on it before it locked up and exceeded 240 ft lbs in reverse. Then wouldn't go back flat against the balancer when I tried to retighten it. Tried a big 2 ft breaker with another 1ft pipe on it and no luck. Tried a 600ft lb impact that operates at 90psi..but my 12 gallon compressor only stops at 100psi.
I'm scared it's going to snap in the crank. I've been told that's almost impossible or doubtful to happen but i don't know.

Has anyone had or can shed some knowledge and piece of mind here as to if it's safe to really crank on if I take it to the dealership or anything. I really need to replace my camshaft and can't with this issue. Thanks guys

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats scary because the process to get it out sounds scary. I have a 97 accord which had an issue with harmonic balancer and that bolt wouldnt stay in some times while driving until I got it replaced. That was the typical issue, going all the way in and coming out on its own. For you not to be able to put it all the way in means the threading could be an issue?

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap man. That IS a pickle. Does it turn at all from where it currently sits? Tried all kids of penetrating oil? Tried hearing up the area around the bolt? Just throwing stuff out.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Crap man. That IS a pickle. Does it turn at all from where it currently sits? Tried all kids of penetrating oil? Tried hearing up the area around the bolt? Just throwing stuff out.
Yes a pickle indeed. I can get a quarter to a half turn on it either way then it tightens up..HARD! I put a penetrating oil on it but completely ignored it because at the point I was thinking "if it's not coming off it's doing its purpose" and left it go. But now that I need to replace the cam, I'm stuck back at square one :Angry:. I just got the truck 2 months ago and it's sat in the garage more than driven. Only but 400 miles on it in 2 months. I'm afraid it's going to snap..then I'm really screwed. So I think I'm just going to put new lifters in it and close up the top end and trade it in and let it be someone else's problem..pretty upset about it because this truck is in great shape!..if this dang engine didn't have oil pump failure. :banghead: I have not used heat. I'm pretty much at the point of giving up. The engine has been a headache getting apart. If it didnt have a lifter failure tap then I would have got rid of it weeks ago.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of "let it be someone elses problem", just to be clear. Strikes me as disnonest and I can't be that way.

I'd say try heat. I've gotten out many a bolt before with a simple propane torch. I'd also say that hitting the bolt with an upside down can of air duster might cool it off enough to get it to move.

This kind of stuff doesn't warrant punting on the truck, in my opinion. If the heat doesn't do it and it does break off, drill through it and try to extract it.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my harmonic balancer and bolt was a concern, there was a way to get to other side of bolt by going behind where oil pan or something is? What holds it on the other side if you have to take that entire assembly off?

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score