Anyone ever put in a hybrid engine in an 00 to 06 car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys think that MPG estimator on the truck screen is accurate? it says my avg is 12.4 mpg and a lot of the times when it says 7 or 8 mpg when im driving.

bump. the thought of this not being normal is grinding my gears. need a solution asap. i assumed it was normal since its an SUV with AWD and older. you know, gas guzzler.

I find the MPG / Gallons Used readings in the DIC to range from spot on to widely off for any given tank. The best way to figure it out is to track your mileage and fill ups at the pump. I use Fuelly.com to track the fuel usage for all my vehicles. You might want to track a few tanks to see what your actual mileage is before you start tearing into things. After that, a basic tune up never hurts, and you can track a few tanks. If it is still below average you can start to think about the injectors or the intake gasket. Better to take a step back and quantify the problem before getting in deeper than you need to.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mpg readings on my vehicle were damn near dead on with my manual calculations for my model. Maybe the earlier SUV were different. If it were me in your position I would get new injectors, new intake manifold(they are known to crack) knock sensors, fuel vapor canister. Check fuel pressure also.this stuff can be had pretty cheaply brand new for these trucks. I know you hate to throw parts at it but it's just one of those things you have to do. Lastly I would have someone tune the computer for you. That will give you more power and a tiny bit more mileage.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next fill up this week gonna track the MPG for the tank. will keep ya posted.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just put a can of BG44K into the gas tank. gonna run this one out and start tracking the MPG next tank fill up. will keep posted if it works or improvement is seen. if not next i will do the machine fuel injector cleaning.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do find that the mileage is low, ask around about a shop that does good diagnostic work and pay the $80 or whatever to have them at least do an engine report for you. Their knowledge and advice is sometimes worth that money. They do this stuff every day. I have two shops in my area that I would trust to troubleshoot, if I couldn't diagnose it myself.
There are many causes for low fuel mileage, including torque convertor clutch not locking, cat's plugging up, engine coolant temp sensor inaccurate (can make the engine run rich), a brake caliper sticking from an old hose swelling shut holding a little pressure in the caliper or corroded, sticky caliper slide pins that haven't been greased in years, knock sensors needing replacement (affects engine performance), alternator starting to fail, creating electrical noise, confusing the ECM, MAF and O2 sensors not accurate, etc
I only do this work part time, but I have seen all of these problems in the past, and they can all affect mileage.
Larry

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do find that the mileage is low, ask around about a shop that does good diagnostic work and pay the $80 or whatever to have them at least do an engine report for you. Their knowledge and advice is sometimes worth that money. They do this stuff every day. I have two shops in my area that I would trust to troubleshoot, if I couldn't diagnose it myself.
There are many causes for low fuel mileage, including torque convertor clutch not locking, cat's plugging up, engine coolant temp sensor inaccurate (can make the engine run rich), a brake caliper sticking from an old hose swelling shut holding a little pressure in the caliper or corroded, sticky caliper slide pins that haven't been greased in years, knock sensors needing replacement (affects engine performance), alternator starting to fail, creating electrical noise, confusing the ECM, MAF and O2 sensors not accurate, etc
I only do this work part time, but I have seen all of these problems in the past, and they can all affect mileage.
Larry

the mechanic i take it to does diagnostics...but dont give like a printed out sheet with what they find far as i know. when i had that problem with the 02 sensors their tech spent about 3 hours running all sorts of different tests with smoke machines, guages, comparing readhings off the tech2 to some sort of database etc. do chevy dealerships tend to this correctly and in depth?

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

1st tank...full 26 gallons of 87o

closing in on the end...looking like its gonna be 220 miles or so gallons total. i tried to not run the heat during this tank full but had to for maybe 6 7 hours total. something definitely wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the dashboard info where it says "avg MPG" accurate? its like a set number doesnt change. mine says 12.3 but then theres another when you scroll through the option where it says personal best MPG something like that 8.8 MPG. i remember last year i reset all those hour meter, mialage and gasoline calculator to see how much i rack up but lost track. seems to me i once was getting 12.3 and am now getting 8.8

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the dashboard info where it says "avg MPG" accurate? its like a set number doesnt change. mine says 12.3 but then theres another when you scroll through the option where it says personal best MPG something like that 8.8 MPG. i remember last year i reset all those hour meter, mialage and gasoline calculator to see how much i rack up but lost track. seems to me i once was getting 12.3 and am now getting 8.8

Average is since the last time since you reset the counter. You can reset the average and watch it change if you want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan