Anyone actually use these trucks for off-roading? I'd love to hear feedback/experiences...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
Amazing pics! - Thank you.......What year is your Burb? - and which tires are you running?

Thanks, pics really don't do it justice... there's so much space up here the views never get old. I ran BFG KO2s for 65k miles until this summer. I switched to Toyo A/T3s and like them so far, I did poke a hole in one already though and never did with the KO2s... so we'll see how long they hold up. Better mileage (12 lbs lighter each) and less noise, this is my wife's daily so she's much happier without the E load range All Terrrains.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, pics really don't do it justice... there's so much space up here the views never get old. I ran BFG KO2s for 65k miles until this summer. I switched to Toyo A/T3s and like them so far, I did poke a hole in one already though and never did with the KO2s... so we'll see how long they hold up. Better mileage (12 lbs lighter each) and less noise, this is my wife's daily so she's much happier without the E load range All Terrrains.

I run KO2s in Load Range C; definitely lighter and have a patch in 3 of them at 50K miles. While some of the nails were big, none made a big enough leak to cause a tire change or even set off the TPMs until a few days went by.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run KO2s in Load Range C; definitely lighter and have a patch in 3 of them at 50K miles. While some of the nails were big, none made a big enough leak to cause a tire change or even set off the TPMs until a few days went by.
I was originally going to go with KO2s - but in my size everything was D and E range. I kind of like a gentler highway ride - Tahoe is about a 4.5 hour drive away.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
Well here's some feedback on the Toyo A/T3s... they don't hold up to gravel well. They do great in the rain, are very quiet, and my mpg has improved significantly over the E load range KO2s but this is the second hole a rock has punctured through the tread of the A/T3s. I would say they're great street tires but not meant for hard use, I know I live in a unique area with demanding roads but I am pretty disappointed... I should have trusted my gut and stuck with the BFGs that have done well for 10 years up here without a single puncture.

Here's the carnage... the hole was too big to plug so the tire with 8k miles is garbage... we'll see what Toyo says this week.
50340406116_b846180967_k.jpg

At least the trip was otherwise a success... gorgeous fall scenery and a great getaway for a couple days to explore McCarty and Kennecott, Alaska.
50340582252_575c619d01_k.jpg
50339739208_7afb46bb44_k.jpg
50340424866_b2e6f23da8_k.jpg

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's some feedback on the Toyo A/T3s... they don't hold up to gravel well. They do great in the rain, are very quiet, and my mpg has improved significantly over the E load range KO2s but this is the second hole a rock has punctured through the tread of the A/T3s. I would say they're great street tires but not meant for hard use, I know I live in a unique area with demanding roads but I am pretty disappointed... I should have trusted my gut and stuck with the BFGs that have done well for 10 years up here without a single puncture.

Here's the carnage... the hole was too big to plug so the tire with 8k miles is garbage... we'll see what Toyo says this week.

At least the trip was otherwise a success... gorgeous fall scenery and a great getaway for a couple days to explore McCarty and Kennecott, Alaska.
If I lived in AK I would not run a tire below load range D - probably better off sticking with E range up there.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
If I lived in AK I would not run a tire below load range D - probably better off sticking with E range up there.

Oh, I know... trust me... this is the wife's daily and headed to Georgia soon is the only reason the same tire spec didn't stay on it. I wish I could have held out replacing the KO2s until it's back in the southeast this winter but at 65k miles they were about toast and terrible in the rain (which we get a lot of in the summer).

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amazing pictures, so would love to see that in person and make a drive out there on those roads.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
@cheyenne383 That looks like more than just a "rock" punctured through...... Beautiful pictures though, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it must have caught it just right... here's the culprit, the plug went right through it :nolol:
50340563242_4229dd67e0_k.jpg

Amazing pictures, so would love to see that in person and make a drive out there on those roads.

It has definitely captivated me... Alaska is like no where else I've been! Bring a spare if you drive up :anitoof: