Any tips on best way to swap the steering wheel buttons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've watched some vids on YT and one way was to use a L shaped pick to insert between the button and wheel and pull then out. The other was to use a plastic removal pick to try and pry them from the side. Just wanted to hear from someone who has done this. Thanks

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced steering wheel buttons ('04 Tahoe) and used the hook tool to pull them out similar to the video. My extra step was pulling the steering wheel. It only took a few minutes. Doing so allowed more slack in the wires to pull the buttons completely clear of the steering wheel to make reconnecting easy peasy.

My buttons were in good shape yet the lights were all burnt out. Attached photo is after button swap.

Attachments

• IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    417.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I swapped them with hook tool also the bottom two buttons had the least amount of slack. I can now check tire pressures although the two right side tires say 0 psi...

Logan5

Reaction score
I replaced some buttons in my wheel without taking it off and it was a serious PITA. Later on I swapped in a new wheel and when the wheel was off, removing the buttons was simple.

I would take the wheel off even if I just needed to swap buttons.

If you're just looking to fix the button lights you can solder in new LEDs rather than buy new buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14