Any help would be greatly appreciated! LOW OIL PRESSURE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2004 that the gauge cluster went bad and all gauges acted up. The symptom tha i had was that the Speedometer hand did NOT do a smooth sweep but steped up and down by small increments and then of course quit completely LOL. That was many years ago and GM actaully replaced the cluster for free even though it was out of warranty. It was a really common problem back in the day, I have seen some advertisements for GM cluster rebuilding online that would probably be a good option on a nearly 20 year old unit. Or you could just solder in new stepper motors yourself if you are really handy....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be clear, the gauge stepper motor (and needle position) has no control over the warning message. If the low oil pressure warning comes on, it's doing that based on the interaction between the PCM and the oil pressure sensor, no matter what the gauge says.

Similarly, if the stepper motor for the fuel gauge goes bad, the low fuel light is independent from the stepper motor action, and just because the needle reads low or no fuel doesn't mean the low fuel light will come on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu