Any Engine Issues With The 2015-2020 Yukons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Joshua

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020

Hi I was looking for GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020 to buy but before that I want to know if there is any problems with those model or the engine or has anybody experienced something bad or any problems with transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020

Hi I was looking for GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020 to buy but before that I want to know if there is any problems with those model or the engine or has anybody experienced something bad or any problems with transmission?

Hi Josh! The Active Fuel Management (or Displacement on Demand “D.O.D.”) causes lifter failure ultimately resulting in needing a new camshaft. Disable it at least before you experience the consequences of the failed lifter.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020

The earlier models had the most issues, not enough "glue" used to secure the bows to the roof causing buffeting which made people seasick. The new axles had some issues with out of round axle shafts in relation to the hub. The vehicles with 8-speed transmissions needed new fluid or had to have their torque converters replaced. Not all vehicles in the earlier years had these problems. For the most part they are very reliable if taken care of. AFM is way more reliable in this generation, offering near trouble free service for well over 100K miles.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

If you have the money, and you want to purchase the 2015-2000 model generation, I would suggest looking at 2017-2020 trucks, just to avoid any potential early model year issues, as identified and suggested above.

And, the search tool in this Forum leaves a lot to be desired. Some folks have had better luck using a Google search and adding 'tahoeyukonforum' to their search text string to get better outcomes from the search.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMC YUKON 2015 - 2020

Just check out the first few pages and beyond in this section and in the General Discussion section. Make sure you get ALL service records.

With that said [besides a Condenser which GM covered and was done in less then 24 hours] my 2016 5.3 Tahoe with 102K miles has had nothing but plain old regular maintenance. I bought it brand new. AFM is still enabled.

OP
OP
G

GMC Joshua

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just check out the first few pages and beyond in this section and in the General Discussion section. Make sure you get ALL service records.

With that said [besides a Condenser which GM covered and was done in less then 24 hours] my 2016 5.3 Tahoe with 102K miles has had nothing but plain old maintenance. I bought it brand new. AFM is still enabled.
What transmission did you get?

captain

Reaction score
Noticed that did afm kicks in even while in tow mode. Don't think I want it enabled while towing although getting 20mpg while towing is kinda nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts