Any & all help/suggestions welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
OK so i am late to the party here and you probably already got the answer you needed but i am gonna give you my 2 cents anyway. You see I had the exact same problem you are describing as far as the "floating feeling" you get from driving around . I use to get it especially bad on the highway felt i would be getting pulled over for suspicion of dui!! Lol ! Anyway long story short i purchased an aftermarket rear sway bar from eibach and paired it off with energy suspension polyurethane sway bar bushing links and problem solved. Now my hoe hugs them street corners better and more aggressively than a $20hooker on Saturday night!

Better late than never. Lol. I’m gonna knock the suspension out and make sure that front end is right first. If she’s still floating after all that I will definitely look into that. Thanks.

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say "Floating"... Where.... At 70mph or 140 mph...

I did get mine up to 129 mph, just to see if it could many years ago.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
You say "Floating"... Where.... At 70mph or 140 mph...

I did get mine up to 129 mph, just to see if it could many years ago.

My lead foot days are behind me. I’m talking about 35-40 mph on up to 50-55. I haven’t put it on the highway yet because I really don’t trust it. Got email from Rockauto today. New suspension should be here first of next week.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better late than never. Lol. I’m gonna knock the suspension out and make sure that front end is right first. If she’s still floating after all that I will definitely look into that. Thanks.
No problem. Make sure you keep us all in the know .

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same year Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3l zvin...i changed my shocks all the way around removing my rear self levelling and goiing with Monroe heavy duty shocks. I did not replace the springs and notice my rear sits a bit lower. My steering feels loose but I thinks it's just the action. I replaced the pitman and idler arms as well several years back as well as rear calipers and alot of other stuff to keep road worthy.

Have you tried letting someone drive by you in it while you listen as it rolls by to maybe get a better idea? My Tahoe is arctic white and I have 218k miles...still rolling!!

02 TAHOE LS 4X4
5.3l FLEX FUEL
285/70/17 W/Z71 RIMS

Sent from my SAMSUNG NOTE 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
So, I finally got around to tackling the suspension on my ‘02. Installed the Bilstein shocks all the way around and the new springs on the rear. Got the new jounce stops in on the front. Rear ones are basically non-existent so I got those ordered just a few minutes ago. (I have no logical reason as to why I didn’t order these when I ordered the front ones.) ‍

My truck rides 1,000% better. I mean it’s just about as close to a new ride as an 18 year old truck can get. Many thanks again to all who gave input.

I did manipulate the backing plate on the rear. My “scrubbing” noise is MIA thus far. Hopefully, that little annoyance is gone for good.

I made a long and valiant attempt to replace the sway bar links on the front. I threw every trick I had at them, but ended up putting the old ones back in for now. They are quite visibly worn and definitely need to be done. But she will just have to go see a real “doctor” to have those tended to. Removal was a breeze. However, I simply could not get even a couple of threads to expose at the top in order to get the nut started on the new links, despite the fact that the overall length of the new ones are almost a full inch longer than the old. AC Delco OEM part too. I tried and tried to compress everything. Best I could do was flush the top of the bolt to the top collar. Those new bushings just didn’t wanna play ball.

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to tackling the suspension on my ‘02. Installed the Bilstein shocks all the way around and the new springs on the rear. Got the new jounce stops in on the front. Rear ones are basically non-existent so I got those ordered just a few minutes ago. (I have no logical reason as to why I didn’t order these when I ordered the front ones.) ‍

My truck rides 1,000% better. I mean it’s just about as close to a new ride as an 18 year old truck can get. Many thanks again to all who gave input.

I did manipulate the backing plate on the rear. My “scrubbing” noise is MIA thus far. Hopefully, that little annoyance is gone for good.

I made a long and valiant attempt to replace the sway bar links on the front. I threw every trick I had at them, but ended up putting the old ones back in for now. They are quite visibly worn and definitely need to be done. But she will just have to go see a real “doctor” to have those tended to. Removal was a breeze. However, I simply could not get even a couple of threads to expose at the top in order to get the nut started on the new links, despite the fact that the overall length of the new ones are almost a full inch longer than the old. AC Delco OEM part too. I tried and tried to compress everything. Best I could do was flush the top of the bolt to the top collar. Those new bushings just didn’t wanna play ball.
Can you share the new springs and shock info? I also have to replace my bump stops all the way around. I dont know any tricks with the away links as in have to do mine too. I'm also gonna replace all ball joints.

02 TAHOE LS 4X4
5.3l FLEX FUEL
285/70/17 W/Z71 RIMS

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Can you share the new springs and shock info? I also have to replace my bump stops all the way around. I dont know any tricks with the away links as in have to do mine too. I'm also gonna replace all ball joints.

02 TAHOE LS 4X4
5.3l FLEX FUEL
285/70/17 W/Z71 RIMS

I used the Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear. Bilstein 9021 springs in the back.
Rockauto was the best price I found.

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear. Bilstein 9021 springs in the back.
Rockauto was the best price I found.
Thanks man. Where are you located? What color is your Tahoe? My rehab started with the knock sensors, then I cleaned/repaired my fuel rail and system and intake...replaced power steering lines, rear calipers and brakes, replaced my fuel pump/sending unit, replaced my idle air valve and throttle position sensor and last so far I recharged my AC...i hope to get my oil pan gasket replaced soon? Change out my ujoints, front calipers and brakes, then swap out some door lock actuators...the list grows and grows!!!

02 TAHOE LS 4X4
5.3l FLEX FUEL
285/70/17 W/Z71 RIMS

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Thanks man. Where are you located? What color is your Tahoe? My rehab started with the knock sensors, then I cleaned/repaired my fuel rail and system and intake...replaced power steering lines, rear calipers and brakes, replaced my fuel pump/sending unit, replaced my idle air valve and throttle position sensor and last so far I recharged my AC...i hope to get my oil pan gasket replaced soon? Change out my ujoints, front calipers and brakes, then swap out some door lock actuators...the list grows and grows!!!

02 TAHOE LS 4X4
5.3l FLEX FUEL
285/70/17 W/Z71 RIMS

Im just outside of Mobile, AL. Sounds like you’ve been a little more involved in your rehab. I’ve done a fair amount of work to mine, but mostly fixed things as they failed for the longest. In the last year or so I’ve gotten into a position to be a little more proactive and start looking for things before they become an issue.

My ‘hoe is grey.
C430ED4D-9F89-49C9-B841-F5DB82713378.jpeg