Any AFM indication without DIC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, but that isn’t affected by tow mode. That was the point I was making.

Manual shifting through the gears does disable AFM, as long as you stop before you get to D.

Seems like a pretty difficult way to avoid AFM, at least if you are shifting on a column.
leaving it to the 3rd lock out should be fine if your under 55mph most residential is only 25 or 30mph which will keep you in the economy zone... if you want a way to disable it get a hardware/soft disable...

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leaving it to the 3rd lock out should be fine if your under 55mph most residential is only 25 or 30mph which will keep you in the economy zone... if you want a way to disable it get a hardware/soft disable...

Thanks for the advice.

HeidiHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree. Electronics might make a glitch in the tach. There’s no way it’s going to magically change the transmission ratio so that it’ll run for example 1500 RPM on 8 cylinders and 1600 on 4. At a fixed speed.
Unlocking the TCC could do it, but that certainly wouldn’t improve fuel economy.
More likely just some glitchy data on the bus to the cluster from a bad ground or voltage spike.

Next time you are out driving in a product with AFM watch the tach when it switches in and out of V4 mode. I have seen a subtle but consistant minor rpm change in 4 different V8 equiped vehicles from two different manufacturers, GM and Chr***** (trying to not use a bad word here...)