Another P0300 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have never done a compression test on a hot/warm engine. Don't know why other than I did not want to burn my delicate fingers/hands. I don't know if the temp can reveal different readings. I do know that if in a hurry and need to check for a blown head gasket, I have just pulled the cylinders plugs that I believed to be suspect. If I am doing a complete compression test, all plugs are removed and then I do a dry and then a wet test if needed.
I need to get this done myself.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an 01 Yukon Denali. No power loss or noticeable issues when driving.

The light comes on at different times. It's come on at first start up and also in the middle of a drive, not any hard accels. The misfire monitors start counting as soon as it's started, warm or cold.

I haven't done a compression test, mainly because the misfire moves, it's not specific to any cylinder(s). This is leading me to believe it's a fuel related issue, which is why I was checking pressure and watching the fuel trims, which all seem to be within spec from what I've found.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I haven’t touched a tech2 for years now, but I was thinking that you can go to freeze frame for p0300 or maybe it was just in data. Anyway I think there should be somewhere that lists the number of misfires on each cylinder. Not the sweet graphic, just the number… my theory is that when you’re watching, it’s not doing it, and sometimes it acts up and one cylinder is setting the code.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the screen shots from the graph is live, I can monitor them as they happen. Different cylinders count more misfires each drive cycle, as you can see. Each screen shot is a completely different drive cycle.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the cam/crank relearn. I noticed the misfire counter doesn't count up as fast anymore, but still counting them. At almost 200k miles, I'd almost assume some may be normal. So far no light on, but I haven't been driving a whole lot. I'll report back if the code does come back.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update, in case anyone else finds this in a search someday. About 2 weeks and several hundred miles later, the light still hasn't come back on. Cam/Crank Relearn did fix it. Though it lets me know I have a timing chain replacement coming up in my future at some point.

Dron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is old thread.
I had the same problem on 2002 Avalanche. I replaced everything (plugs, wires, fuel filter, intake gaskets), except fuel pump and injectors. I replaced injector connectors (old pigtails wasn't stays on). I replaced O2 sensors, because cats was gutted and secondary O2 sensors was an emulators. I install Y pipe with old cats from donor 03 Tahoe.
I get cheep scanner (Iden400GM $150), relearn cam sensor. No more P0300.