Another OBD II question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Merry Christmas folks ! I have done some research here about BT / App Diagnostic "tools" and it's left me with a few questions .

What I'm wondering first of all if these ELM BT are still good for Androids , or has there been a better mousetrap been built recently ?
Concerning the TorqueApp for Androids , are there any others to consider ?

Last but not least ….
Will these small OBDII access deep into the system . I was told by a shop that the Actrons etc. only go so deep into the diagnostics , and you need a $100,000,000 Diagnostics Analyzer . So , let's say you Drivability code and the Scanner gives you "X" Code but there are sub systems that haven't been touched will these scanners" Go the Extra Mile" or should I sell my wife's truck to finance (unknown to her) a scanner . I like the Smart Phone route myself . ?

Thanks , Steve in Nevada (not Lost Wages or Rhino ' but "REAL" Nevada) !

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the torque app really isnt bad i believe it does do abs codes atleast. far as i know the tech2 can read everything and is around 300 bucks. the actron scanners are either super basic and only do ecm codes or you can pay 150+ for a more advanced version.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either way you pay for what you get here. the top of the line snap on scanners can do ridiculous amount of things but even for reading all trouble codes the snap on is well above your diy mechanic. just get a tech 2 and call it a day

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give serious consideration to a Tech 2, the Chinese knock-off sells for around $350. For diagnostic work, you probably cannot spend $350 in a better way.

OP
OP
Dusty Diggs

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMGP7212.JPG Thanks for the great info . I got on-line as soon as I saw the replies . Of course I found ELM327 . I kept digging and there was another one I found it's called a "Blue Drive" , bit pricey but a lot of reviews for the good . When I went on Amazon and found the ELM unit , and a lot of hand-held's showed up and are not that bad on price . I'm coming into this Technology kicking and screaming , but I have to have it to work on the Tahoe . I need to run it on an analyzer , it runs rough /dies and stinks of raw fuel on the first start of the day . After that it's fine . I came up here on TY-forum and from what I can glean , my intake has leaks . I have the intake / knock sensors/harness for when I do the job , but I've been a bit put off by the cold ,,,, so it sits .

Next to find is a head-unit with GPS . I'm also looking into some Smartphone apps.

Thanks again , Steve

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont like the nav setups on the hu. i do like the full face touchscreens. i link my phone with the bt in the radio stream pandora and have the waze app set priority over pandora. keep the phone on either the dash mount or the window mount in either vehicle. that way my eyes never have to leave the direction of the road to look at my directions. i spend alot of time on the highway so taking my eyes off the road even for a short glance could have me coming up on something im not ready for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts