SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a gamble on the PCM since the mechanic recommended that. No luck but I also did a trans flush over the weekend and either the fluid or the PCM solved the 1-2 hard shift. So that’s one thing off my list. Might just have to take it to the dealer and get the issue resolved..

Also some useful info for anyone that needs to program passlock 3. The instructions are very vague. It says insert master key turn it to on. Leave it for 10 mins. Turn off for 5 seconds then turn it back to on for 10 mins. Repeat this process 3 times…. Well I spent about 2 hours repeating this until I watched a video. They want you to turn the key all the way and attempt to start the truck then leave it on for 10 mins. 3 times in a row. Then it works

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a gamble on the PCM since the mechanic recommended that. No luck but I also did a trans flush over the weekend and either the fluid or the PCM solved the 1-2 hard shift. So that’s one thing off my list. Might just have to take it to the dealer and get the issue resolved..

Also some useful info for anyone that needs to program passlock 3. The instructions are very vague. It says insert master key turn it to on. Leave it for 10 mins. Turn off for 5 seconds then turn it back to on for 10 mins. Repeat this process 3 times…. Well I spent about 2 hours repeating this until I watched a video. They want you to turn the key all the way and attempt to start the truck then leave it on for 10 mins. 3 times in a row. Then it works
Did you use a Tech2 to program the PCM?

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a Tech2 to program the PCM?
Bought it pre programmed to my vin. I don’t have a tech 2 but I been tempted to get a knockoff one. I just really don’t understand how they work. I’m worried I’ll change or be reading stuff that I have no business messing with lol

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an accessible place to add a tee to get a good vacuum reading you could watch driving? Old school but very accurate on a chase. Look for a 1960's vacuum diagnostics chart. Hopin for an easy fix, Good Luck!

Gave it a try. Not Sure what to make of it. It hovers in the low “normal engine” zone. Then drops when it’s misfiring Then comes back up. I’m not sure how to mess with timing. I thought that was all computer programmed now a days

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few more things I'd like to see on vacuum tests. Try a med RPM (3000 or so)steady state run, close throttle. What is max vac? Around 28-30 and steady? Like a freeway exit ramp decel. Next is steady state cruise, Vac steady above 15? Test drive results more reliable than driveway.
Here is a quick search diagnostic link There are better old school charts but didn't take time to search.
Lastly, engine oil/carbon can cause that minor miss via intake valves(or lifters), so a can of cleaner in gas may help.Spark plugs also. NGK/AC only. Good luck.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few more things I'd like to see on vacuum tests. Try a med RPM (3000 or so)steady state run, close throttle. What is max vac? Around 28-30 and steady? Like a freeway exit ramp decel. Next is steady state cruise, Vac steady above 15? Test drive results more reliable than driveway.
Here is a quick search diagnostic link There are better old school charts but didn't take time to search.
Lastly, engine oil/carbon can cause that minor miss via intake valves(or lifters), so a can of cleaner in gas may help.Spark plugs also. NGK/AC only. Good luck.
I was running couple bottles of cleaner earlier this year and premium gas.. I’ve been having trouble for months. Around Jan 2021 misfire in cylinder 8 and rough idle. Which is why I initially changed wires and plugs then ran cleaner in the fuel. The cylinder 8 code went away after that but the rough idle never really settled. About a month or 2 ago the frequent cylinder 7 misfire started showing on the scanner.

I’ll try to go for a ride with the vac pump hooked up

I also used ngk plugs

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a quick run down the road. Hope this is what you were looking for

a lot of the ruckus you hear banging around is equipment in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972