SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly what I wanted to see, But usable. Your vacuum is low. How much of that is EGR I don't know (decel). At your most efficient cruise speed, engine vac should be 17-19. That shows rings or valve leakage (again EGR involved in number) . So what it points to from two short partial tests is small Vacuum leak somewhere or leaky EGR or sticky lifter/carboned valve (that 2 inch vac drop miss at idle). Recommend an oil change and a can of berrymans in gas for(#7) with read thru on vac gage diag especially a 60's chart that shows more tests.
Vac diagnosis is valuable in steady state runs usually, as hiccups show. Between your scanner recording live data and a glance at the vac guage occasionally or when you feel a change should generate a solution. Keep posting results and Good luck.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly what I wanted to see, But usable. Your vacuum is low. How much of that is EGR I don't know (decel). At your most efficient cruise speed, engine vac should be 17-19. That shows rings or valve leakage (again EGR involved in number) . So what it points to from two short partial tests is small Vacuum leak somewhere or leaky EGR or sticky lifter/carboned valve (that 2 inch vac drop miss at idle). Recommend an oil change and a can of berrymans in gas for(#7) with read thru on vac gage diag especially a 60's chart that shows more tests.
Vac diagnosis is valuable in steady state runs usually, as hiccups show. Between your scanner recording live data and a glance at the vac guage occasionally or when you feel a change should generate a solution. Keep posting results and Good luck.
Yeah it seems anytime I am accelerating or at high rpm. The vacuum is extremely low. Someone else recommended I try a leak down test on that cylinder and since you’re saying possible valves or rings I’m more motivated to do the leak down test….
Tough for me to get a good video. I need a co pilot or 2 cameras to record RPMs and the vacuum at the same time. Or just narrate better. But I appreciate you looking at the videos and giving me some input

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to video vac gage, just glance at it once in a while. Your scanner should record 10-15 minutes or more .
Again, read about vac diagnosis. Maybe even unplug EGR. ( I'd have to review cautions on that)

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to video vac gage, just glance at it once in a while. Your scanner should record 10-15 minutes or more .
Again, read about vac diagnosis. Maybe even unplug EGR. ( I'd have to review cautions on that)
I was searching Just out of curiosity and pricing. Apparently my truck doesn’t have an EGR valve. No matter where I look. Rockauto for example. I can find an EGR valve for a 96 express van. But when I put in 08 express 3500 with 6.0. EGR isn’t even an option in the exhaust section. No luck Amazon. No luck elsewhere. Is it called something else?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No. GM did away with egr valves on some engines at one time and continued that way, as far as I know, but changes come and go.

I have no idea why what I found out at RA is what it is but:

2008=no egr valve or gasket
2007=egr gasket listed but no valve
2006=egr gasket listed but no valve
2005=egr gasket but no valve
2004=egr gasket but no valve
2003=egr valve and gasket listed

This is for the 3500 Express Van with 6.0 engine

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No. GM did away with egr valves on some engines at one time and continued that way, as far as I know, but changes come and go.

I have no idea why what I found out at RA is what it is but:

2008=no egr valve or gasket
2007=egr gasket listed but no valve
2006=egr gasket listed but no valve
2005=egr gasket but no valve
2004=egr gasket but no valve
2003=egr valve and gasket listed

This is for the 3500 Express Van with 6.0 engine
I just checked RA for an egr for my Express 2500 with the 4.8. No dice, nothing shows, but like you said, they only show a gasket. Doesn't make sense to me. If there is a gasket there--where would it be, and could that be a source of a vacuum leak? I'm curious because I'm still having an issue too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe the gasket is for a block off plate where the egr valve used to be.

Kind of like an oil cooler block off plate.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I read someplace where they were also mounted at back of throttle body but did not pay attention to application when I was looking. I woud just look high and low for where the gasket may fit.

Sorry, gotta go @Tonyrodz, time to drop a deuce. Will be back with clean hands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham