SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have to remove the passenger seat? What kind of hokey crap is that? Engineers can be idiots at times. I would not have one of those vans on a bet.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You have to remove the passenger seat? What kind of hokey crap is that? Engineers can be idiots at times. I would not have one of those vans on a bet.
You don't really need to remove the seat, but it makes it so much easier and manageable if you do. I do the same thing.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really considered the Nissan vans because of engine accessibility. But when I was searching online reviews. A lot of people made a valid point that the Nissan vans sacrifice a decent amount of cargo to have a full size hood in the front... and also cost was a major factor as well..

Unless you’re flexible, that passenger seat needs to come out lol. If I’m not mistaken. I think you can only slide the cover up a foot or so if you leave the seat in. The seat needs to come out to completely remove the engine cover out of the way

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I really considered the Nissan vans because of engine accessibility. But when I was searching online reviews. A lot of people made a valid point that the Nissan vans sacrifice a decent amount of cargo to have a full size hood in the front... and also cost was a major factor as well..

Unless you’re flexible, that passenger seat needs to come out lol. If I’m not mistaken. I think you can only slide the cover up a foot or so if you leave the seat in. The seat needs to come out to completely remove the engine cover out of the way
I also like thise Nissan vans, especially the ones you can stand up in, but they are pricey.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m back to the misfires.. cyl 7 started acting up on me. Changed coil wire and plug with cyl 8. No change. So I pulled the fuel injectors and swapped 7 and 8. Currently idling the van for 15 mins or so to see if the code comes back in 8 instead of 7. Don’t have high hopes…. If no change, what’s the next step? Pull the valve cover and check the valves?

Oh yeah compression is good across the cylinders

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for vacuum leaks too. How old are the plugs?
January of this year and only 5,000 miles. I did plugs and wires.. follow up also the misfire did not change cylinders even after fuel injector swap.

how do I check for vacuum leak

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I check for vacuum leaks with my ears and I like to use a mechanic's stethoscope and take the probe out of the end of the hose and use the hose to search with. Another way is to use water in a spray bottle and spray near areas where there could be a vacuum leak and listen for the idle pitch to change.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I check for vacuum leaks with my ears and I like to use a mechanic's stethoscope and take the probe out of the end of the hose and use the hose to search with. Another way is to use water in a spray bottle and spray near areas where there could be a vacuum leak and listen for the idle pitch to change.
I just YouTubed something briefly. Should I check for leaks around the intake?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14