Another genius idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Or a gnat's ass eyeball squint look with his Home Depot tape measure.

Exactly. I laid a tape measure (with 1/32" resolution) across one of the towers and eyeballed it to be 5/16", maybe a split hair under. I decided I'd plug 'em with 3/8" since that uses a 5/16" drill bit. It turned out, the 5/16" bit didn't do much of anything and wasn't loose, so I was able to just go straight to tapping in the threads without any pre-drilling.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I posted a link to the bearing. What my buddy sent me was a screenshot of the Sloppy Mechanic's FB page. It's really not a complicated idea and, if you've ever seen a wheel bearing, you could use your imagination. Lemme see if I can dig up something.

*EDIT*

Here's the A-37 bearing:

71WlmkkM7yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's what it'd look like disassembled:

earing%20operationec5987a92d6947f481d9db78edd1d7af.png

The rollers have a slight taper to them. You use some dykes or a cut-off wheel on a grinder to cut the cage so all the rollers fall out. You may be able to bite it with a couple pairs of channel locks and bend it so the rollers fall out. You insert the smaller end of a roller "slug" into the hole of the AFM tower and tap it in until it's tight. The wider end of the roller is just big enough at some point to present an interference fit in the hole, so it must be right at 8mm in diameter.

Here's some plugs installed. I don't know what kind or brand or it they're roller bearings, but it's all the same, super simple concept:

c7_intake_169ff09eb1f2fc6b2469b37a0cc7e36458d94639.jpg

Last edited:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any documented failure of the valley cover with the o-rings?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a link to the bearing. What my buddy sent me was a screenshot of the Sloppy Mechanic's FB page. It's really not a complicated idea and, if you've ever seen a wheel bearing, you could use your imagination. Lemme see if I can dig up something.

*EDIT*

Here's the A-37 bearing:

71WlmkkM7yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's what it'd look like disassembled:

earing%20operationec5987a92d6947f481d9db78edd1d7af.png

The rollers have a slight taper to them. You use some dykes or a cut-off wheel on a grinder to cut the cage so all the rollers fall out. You may be able to bite it with a couple pairs of channel locks and bend it so the rollers fall out. You insert the smaller end of a roller "slug" into the hole of the AFM tower and tap it in until it's tight. The wider end of the roller is just big enough at some point to present an interference fit in the hole, so it must be right at 8mm in diameter.

Here's some plugs installed. I don't know what kind or brand or it they're roller bearings, but it's all the same, super simple concept:

c7_intake_169ff09eb1f2fc6b2469b37a0cc7e36458d94639.jpg

but what if i have an aluminum block and want to plug the holes with aluminum slugs?:angels2:

there really isnt a failure per se, just low oil pressure from it getting past the oring

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't bookmark them, but way back when I was collecting my delete parts, I did run across at least two separate instances where the O-rings leaked. Of course, these may have been on hopped-up engines running high oil pressures. Or, it could've been a high-mileage LS3 or the like and the valley cover gaskets were old and collapsed, causing a loose cover and leaking O-rings. I didn't notate any of that, I just decided I'd make it a non-issue when I did mine, but not for $100 on a tool I'd probably never use again.