Another Exhaust Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry guys - I know there are already a ton of exhaust threads, but after searching through them for the past hour or so, I'm not really getting the information I need.

I have a '95 LT 4x4 - I currently have stock piping with a dual chamber Flowmaster muffler. I believe it is single in, single out; I will have to get under there and look to remind myself later.

It has a nice little tone to it, but is pretty quiet. I am looking for a loud, deep tone and since there is no emissions testing where I live, I am considering a straight pipe setup.

What I thought about doing is removing the muffler (keeping cats) and installing a 2.25" Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the muffler and going dual out at an angle (corners of the rear bumper) with 3.5" tips. But, I recall seeing a thread a while back about there not being much room to work with for dual in, dual out setups on the 4x4 OBS.

1. Am I going to run into space issues with this setup?

2. Will there be excessive drone inside the truck? I love a loud truck, but I do not want to have to talk over my exhaust when cruising.

3. Would you suggest something different? (that would give me a similar sound with little drone, may work better with the space, and/or be better for power?)

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heartthrob makes a dual kit i believe for the hoes. if your just after more sound just change the muffler. flowmaster has too many to choose. 40 series is a pretty standard db level and isnt too bad on the noise. i swapped the stock cat with a magnaflow universal cat on a 94 burban with a single 3 inch all the way back through a original flowmaster 40. swapping the cat made a HUGE difference.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep what you have and install some shorty headers?

I got some extra rumble, but not excessive when I installed my headers, NOTE I already had a Magnaflow catted Y Pipe and Flowmaster 40 series cat back system

OP
OP
pflan

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmmm going with what I already have and adding headers may be an option.

I would also like to go from the stock looking tailpipe to dual tips, so I could probably just add a Y-pipe there.

I'm not comfortable doing the headers myself, so hopefully the labor on that isn't too expensive.

Thanks guys! Keep em comin'!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
labor charge on headers can go either way depending on the shop you go to. if the old maniold comes off easy or atleast a shop that knows what they are doing. gibson actually makes an affordable cat back kit that has dual tips and it sounds pretty good.

OP
OP
pflan

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, I decided straight pipes would be a bad idea. I enjoy the nice smooth tone that I currently have, and I'm afraid straight pipes would ruin that smoothness.

So, I do believe I am going to try to go with some shorty headers and have a shop weld in a y-pipe and put some nice tips on.

Assuming that there will not be any issues making room for the y-pipe and dual out setup, of course.

Now, just to decide and price out some headers.

OP
OP
pflan

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Actually.. and I apologize for my ignorance, would the setup in my comment above even work? Or does it usually go headers, y-pipe, muffler, pipe to tips?

Because my plan became headers, muffler, y-pipe to dual tips... but I happened to think and wonder if that is even correct.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are correct
dual pipes with cats and dual flowmaster 50s would keep the sound at a smooth growl. newer model 5.3 but thats what a buddy at work is running and it sounds real nice

OP
OP
pflan

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, what I'm thinking I need to do here is get some shorty headers that will bolt right up and get a second matching si/so Flowmaster muffler and run true duals all the way to the back.

Does anyone think there will be a space issue?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If you're trying to get as close to ideal placement as possible, you'd have the x-/y-pipe where the cats are, followed by the muffler(s) and tips at the end. Due to space restrictions and emissions controls, the cats are more forward in the exhaust stream. So the crossover (x-/y-pipe) comes after the converters.

If you're just looking to run shorty headers and are trying to save a few bucks on labor, you shouldn't have any problems doing that yourself. Liberally apply penetrating oil to the header/colloector bolts as well as the EGR tube and you'll be installing your new shorty headers before you know it. If you're going with mid-length or long-tubes, you'll need to be have some additional skills to and access to a welder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64