Another bad GM transmission in my '19 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gapost

Reaction score
Good call on replacement, pic is worth a 1000 words...looks like torque converter was/is starting to fail (shocker, lol). Was thinking you were seeing very small flaky material which is usually bushings just wearing down as time goes by.
So the GM reman comes with the torque converter. I think I know the answer, but I should use the one I bought from Florida TC, even though it's an extra $600??

OP
OP
G

gapost

Reaction score
If GM hasn't updated their converter design, I'd use the one from FTC.
About ready to install my GM reman trans with FL Torque Converter. Nick or anyone, will I be able to drive about 7 miles to the dealer for programming or should I have it taken by a wrecker?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About ready to install my GM reman trans with FL Torque Converter. Nick or anyone, will I be able to drive about 7 miles to the dealer for programming or should I have it taken by a wrecker?
You shouldn't need to reprogram anything, just run the fast adapt relearn via a scan tool with that capability. If you dont have one, have it towed to the dealer.

OP
OP
G

gapost

Reaction score
UPDATE: Got my GM Remanufactured installed. I got an upgraded billet torque converter from Florida Torque Converters. I did all the work myself and it wasn't too bad. I got my Tahoe up on stands/ramps and used a nice transmission jack from Harbor Freight. It wasn't really that complicated or hard except for some of the stupid GM electrical connectors. I also flushed the cooling lines and replaced four O2 sensors since the exhaust was off. I had to flatbed it to the dealer for programming but so far, it's driving great. Temps, with an updated bypass are around 160 degrees in the 90+ weather we are having now. Total cost was $4400 + tax for trans, $600 + tax for TC, fluid, and a few specialized tools.

Thank you to @NickTransmissions for his help and advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh