Another a/c blows hot; dealer wants to replace entire fuse box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apple Pie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2017 Tahoe LT with 39 000 miles has the a/c blowing outside air with no cooling. Dealer says fuse box needs to be replaced for $700.00. I don’t trust dealer because he has all new techs about 19 years old and service mgrs that can’t answer simple questions. I have had a/c problems on other cars and never once did repairs involve the fuse box. Is their diagnosis sound reasonable to any of you, or am I getting hosed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 Tahoe LT with 39 000 miles has the a/c blowing outside air with no cooling. Dealer says fuse box needs to be replaced for $700.00. I don’t trust dealer because he has all new techs about 19 years old and service mgrs that can’t answer simple questions. I have had a/c problems on other cars and never once did repairs involve the fuse box. Is their diagnosis sound reasonable to any of you, or am I getting hosed.
No, it would cause me to ask how they arrived at that conclusion and what the internal codes were. Why not just resolder the joints on the board in the fuse box?

Except for one guy, I've always bypassed the service advisors for the mechanics.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds odd to me but not entirely impossible, I would either ask them to take you out to the service area and ask to speak to the tech and see how they determined it to be the fuse box or go somewhere else.
there will be a troubleshooting tree the tech followed to make this determination if they cannot show that to you then go somewhere else.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put down your location as another member here might be able to recommend a good independent they use or a good honest dealer.

Just about all the 2015-2017 Tahoe's and Yukon's had Condenser issues including mine. Average mileage they went belly up was from 40K-80K miles.

Not saying that is your issue but just throwing it there. I for one only let the dealer work on the A/C as I do not trust A/C shops..I would try to find a 5 Star Chevrolet or GMC dealership even if it is out of your way. In your case would definitely get a second opinion from another dealer with a excellent rating.

All that is just me. To each their own.

Welcome from Miami Beach&NYC!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Denali and we experienced what you are speaking of while traveling to FL 1.5 years ago. I would command A/C and got muggy 83F air instead. I checked over all the fuses because I always travel with tools. Everything OK. Commanded A/C on with hood open - no clutch engagement. Key cycled a few times - no change.

Continued on my not-merry way at that point and all of a sudden I had cold air. It worked flawlessly for the rest of the trip. On the way home, the radio lost it's mind and would change stations, skip songs, etc. The screen was whacking out and I got video of it. The only reason this is relevant to the story is because the A/C controls and radio are all one piece when replaced by GM.

I have great friends that really know their stuff in northern IL. Since I bought the extended warranty, I had it looked at and explained the issues. They replaced the entire radio and climate control piece (comes as one unit). It has worked perfectly since then.......up until last week and the A/C didn't turn on when commanded, but did after a short bit. The radio then started playing from my wife's phone when I unlocked the truck and opened the door after hiking. SO, now I get to see if GM's 2 yr 24,000 mile warranty is good on repairs.

Long story short, I'd get a second opinion from a dealership that has more experienced techs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs