Another 6.2 for 5.3 swap going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The y pipe with cats from GM costs more than a lot of header systems.

I'd really prefer to run cats. I know I'll have to pay more but either way I need either the Y pipe or I get weld in cats that I can screw up.

So back to my question. Is the 6.2 Y bigger and if so will it bolt up so I can run it until I'm in a better situation ?

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 donut connection is bigger than 5 3 donut

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 donut connection is bigger than 5 3 donut

At the exhaust manifold? That bolted up using the 6.2 manifolds. Or do you mean the downstream end?

Thanks for a quick reply.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manifolds are the same between vehicles
The y-pipe is different. The 6.2 y pipe has a larger donut connection because the catback is 3.5 inches. The 5.3 y pipe is for connecting to the stock 2.75" exhaust.

What diagnosis was done to see the cats are clogged?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The right side is completely blocked somehow. You can hear the exhaust hissing out.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the Y pipe out is a pain. I had to drop the sway bar down and support the transmission and transfer case while I dropped the transmission support. As I was getting the pipe down I could hear something rattling inside. I thought maybe I found the nut I lost before.

When I pulled the pipe out from under the car I could see right away there were issues with the catalysts on both sides. I tipped it up to dump the nut out. Um...

L94-38.jpg
This stuff poured out.

L94-39.jpg
Closer look you start to see some structure.

L94-40.jpg
Yep. That used to be the honeycomb catalyst. Note that I didn't break these up. Both sides were shattered into crumbs and were blocking the pipe. I ordered the new Y pipe before I took this out but it'll be days before it comes. Meanwhile I'm going to finish hollowing this pipe out and put it back in place to examine what I did to the engine.

I've got this lump sitting in my basement. I have to figure out what I'll do with it.
L94-37.jpg

Having seen the blockage I now have a better understanding of what happened to my old engine. The AFM might not be the culprit. The blockage pressurized the block and blew the oil out any way it could. That turned out to be into the intake manifold where it exacerbated the issue by further blocking the catalyst.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A somewhat hopeful update for today. I finished emptying the Y pipe and got it installed then I tried to prime the oil pump only to figure out it's full. So I put things all back together and started the truck. Hm. 80 psi oil pressure. After things warmed up I got zero again. No lifter tick though. No issues whatever related to complete lack of oil pressure. Why?

I'm realizing the oil pressure sensor is bad. So that HUGE bullet is dodged I think. I'll know for sure when I put another new sensor in.

Oh and this thing SCOOTS now. Yowza! I can't wait until it is finished with the new cats and the final tune. The difference will be even bigger since the cats were choking the 5.3 down badly and now this 6.2 can exhale. Funny how bad the exhaust stinks now without any cats in. Should I put the now empty pipe on the market? :-D

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A somewhat hopeful update for today. I finished emptying the Y pipe and got it installed then I tried to prime the oil pump only to figure out it's full. So I put things all back together and started the truck. Hm. 80 psi oil pressure. After things warmed up I got zero again. No lifter tick though. No issues whatever related to complete lack of oil pressure. Why?

I'm realizing the oil pressure sensor is bad. So that HUGE bullet is dodged I think. I'll know for sure when I put another new sensor in.

Oh and this thing SCOOTS now. Yowza! I can't wait until it is finished with the new cats and the final tune. The difference will be even bigger since the cats were choking the 5.3 down badly and now this 6.2 can exhale. Funny how bad the exhaust stinks now without any cats in. Should I put the now empty pipe on the market? :-D
Glad things are looking up for you.

Did you by chance put an analog oil pressure gauge on your vehicle to confirm that you truly have good oil pressure? I would be very hesitant to see how well it “Scoots” until I’ve confirmed that bit of information.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad things are looking up for you.

Did you by chance put an analog oil pressure gauge on your vehicle to confirm that you truly have good oil pressure? I would be very hesitant to see how well it “Scoots” until I’ve confirmed that bit of information.

I do still need to confirm the oil pressure I know. It showed 80 psi when I started it and pulled out of the garage. I closed the door and it still showed 80. That seems really high even given the high volume pump so I wasn't trusting the reading. It was still high so I decided to drive a little. It kept that reading for a while then dropped straight to zero. I popped the hood and there's no clatter of flat lifters or any other symptoms. I still had to get home and decided to risk it.

Tomorrow I'll swap the oil pressure sensor from my old engine and see if I can tap into the pressure somewhere with my gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh