Amp power through grommet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to beat this thread to death, but curious of input.

Apparently in '05 GM decided to stop "punching" a nipple for the snow plow connection in the firewall. I was possibly going to drill a hole at this location, but its difficult to find since the dimple'd area is no longer there and I'm not real interested in guessing at drilling a hole. Our vehicles are clean and I'm very picky about how things look.

I don't really wanna run it through the big grommet (like the pic I attached) as I had originally planned. To me, a warm amp wire running tight against the main harness just bothers me.

After doing a lot of looking, I discovered an area where I can run the amp power wire through the void underneath and behind the driver side hood hinge. I could pop it out from behind the fender and feed it through the rubber grommet going to the door (filled with speak wires etc). That would make the power wire pop out right to the left of the emergency brake pedal. Has anyone done this? Any issues, concerns. I just want a clean look and I'm not willing to rig sh*t up like I see so many do.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Follow your parking brake (it's not an e-brake) cable from inside the cab; it goes through a grommet somewhat near the electrical junction (upfitter's) box to the left of the steering column.

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow your parking brake (it's not an e-brake) cable from inside the cab; it goes through a grommet somewhat near the electrical junction (upfitter's) box to the left of the steering column.
I don't know where you are referring to.

I have the main grommet (large one) where all the wires go through (don't wanna use that). I have a small grommet to the left of it (when looking at vehicle from engine side) which looks like it has maybe 2 wires going through it. Then of course I have the blank area below and to the right of master cylinder (where some drill a hole that is normally dimpled for a clutch master cylinder) but mine doesn't have dimple because they stopped doing it in '05. Our Tahoe is an 05'.

Is there an issue feeding it through the hood hinge area and bring it through the grommet near the door that houses the speaker and door light wires????

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2