Am I crazy for holding out for a 6.2 RST?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wwes

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done the math/comparison on the following:

Duramax - Sure, gets better MPG, but diesel is also more expensive than gas. Does the increased MPG offset the increased MPG for gas? Now..not a debate on any of the other benefits of diesel, just curious of MPG only.

6.2l - Like stated above and in the manual..higher octane = performance/better mileage. Performance aside can the mileage be verified to offset the higher price for the 91 octane? i think around here 91 vs 87 will run you 20-30 cents more a gallon.

No, I was never able to say I got better mileage while using 91+ in my 6.2
I'd say I probably got worse, because when the tune was just right, it flew and was fun to do some brisk acceleration. My fault, I know.

And yes, there was a massive difference in performance between 87 and 91. A few times I felt my older 5.3 was more responsive. The engine had a whole other feel when running the good fuel. Just better all around. I also had pinging (spark knock) on 87 as well.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while there are a scant few out there that say they use 87 all the time, there is no doubt that these engines are designed for premium. Just cause you can do it doesn’t mean it’s good for it. I used to own a vehicle that was premium only and the first time you put regular or mid grade in it it would throw a CEL light. Soon as you filled back up with premium, light went out…all I need to know….

NathanSMSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me add to the conversation and throw in "Top Tier Fuel" as recommend by the manual. A few select companies apparently add detergents to their fuel to help it burn cleaner and remove deposits. You can find a list of stations at https://www.toptiergas.com/ In my neck of the woods it's mostly Shell and Phillips 66. Do ya'll buy into using this regularly? Use it every few fill ups to help clean the system? The manual also states you can use non "Top Tier" fuel, but then at every oil change add a fuel treatment to your tank. The stations around me that are "Top Tier" are always higher than the normal ones....

Thoughts? =)

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is .30 more than RUL, but .60 cheaper than premium where we are. Let say you drive 15k miles a year… mileage guesses are combined city/hwy

6.2 if you are being realistic on combined probably 17 mpg
15k a year@ 3.00 a gal 882 gal=2647.00
with premium @3.90 = 3441.00

diesel @ 26 mpg avg
576 gal at 3.30 a gal=1903.00

even if you skew the mpg# to suit your liking as many will defend, there is enough saved to pay your insurance for a year with money left over even if you run RUL, which I personally wouldn’t on a 6.2….
also diesels regularly get above the EPA estimated mileage as posted on the sticker. Gasoline vehicles rarely make what the sticker posts…
damn where do y'all live at? WA state average prices these days:

regular $3.95/gal
premium $4.35/gal
diesel $4.10/gal

expect to pay more if you go to a top tier station like shell ($4.79/gal the other day when I filled up the R32) I've had a 5.3 for 10 years and 99% of the time run regular but once in a while fill up with premium and have NEVER seen any increase in power or mileage from premium. Waste of money with a 5.3

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very hard to believe that premium is only a .40 stretch. I travel the Midwest and I've never seen it less than a .60 difference and most places are .80-.90 higher for premium. Thats why premium is such a racket, and I won't drive a vehicle that requires it. What you pay extra over the lifetime of a vehicle is astronomical and you usually get crappy mileage on top of it !
Also, "Top Tier " stations are no more than other stations in our areas. 98% of society doesn't care about "Top Tier"

Those kinds of prices are why I don't live anywhere near the coasts, east or west.

outkastist

Reaction score
I can't speak to the 6.2, but I drove a previous gen Yukon that I believe had the 5.3, and I felt like it was slow. I have a 22 Yukon XL with the 5.3, and I feel like it has plenty of power. I haven't towed with it yet, but took it fully loaded with my family of 5 and all our luggage on a road trip, and never felt like I was lacking in power.

I am usually one to get the biggest motor option available, but for me the 6.2 was a no go based on it being a large V8 that needed premium gas. So far I have not missed the larger engine. I like the V8 rumbles I get from the 5.3 just fine, and have not missed it. I think the newer 10 speed trans is what really made the difference compared to the older one that I drove.

Cryptocap

Reaction score
Let me add to the conversation and throw in "Top Tier Fuel" as recommend by the manual. A few select companies apparently add detergents to their fuel to help it burn cleaner and remove deposits. You can find a list of stations at https://www.toptiergas.com/ In my neck of the woods it's mostly Shell and Phillips 66. Do ya'll buy into using this regularly? Use it every few fill ups to help clean the system? The manual also states you can use non "Top Tier" fuel, but then at every oil change add a fuel treatment to your tank. The stations around me that are "Top Tier" are always higher than the normal ones....

Thoughts? =)
I always use top tier gas, but that is because I go to Costco and it’s always cheaper there than anywhere else. All companies have to add detergents to the EPA minimum standard. The top tier ones add a lot more. There have been studies on top tier gas with claims you get ~5% better fuel economy. Between the savings per gallon by going to Costco and better fuel economy, you would cover the membership cost there. https://www.popsci.com/sponsored-post/top-tier-gasoline-detergents

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use top tier gas, but that is because I go to Costco and it’s always cheaper there than anywhere else. All companies have to add detergents to the EPA minimum standard. The top tier ones add a lot more. There have been studies on top tier gas with claims you get ~5% better fuel economy. Between the savings per gallon by going to Costco and better fuel economy, you would cover the membership cost there. https://www.popsci.com/sponsored-post/top-tier-gasoline-detergents
I always thought costco was bottom of the barrel gas kinda like am/pm but maybe I'm wrong. Either way I will not start going there as the I don't have 30 minutes to wait in line to save a couple bucks. I honestly notice no difference in performance or mileage from one brand to another, my cars still get me from point A to B and the price/mileage/performance really doesn't change. I have a small fleet of gas hogs so rarely look at the price, it's not going to stop me from buying something I can't drive without

Cryptocap

Reaction score
I always thought costco was bottom of the barrel gas kinda like am/pm but maybe I'm wrong. Either way I will not start going there as the I don't have 30 minutes to wait in line to save a couple bucks. I honestly notice no difference in performance or mileage from one brand to another, my cars still get me from point A to B and the price/mileage/performance really doesn't change. I have a small fleet of gas hogs so rarely look at the price, it's not going to stop me from buying something I can't drive without
No it’s top tier gas, you can look it up on the top tier gas website. Costco sells its gas at a loss because the gas station drives business to the warehouse, where it makes money. I’ve never waited 30 minutes for gas haha. Google will show you when your Costco gas station is busy and when it’s not for all days of the week based on history. mid morning and mid afternoon are best, usually drive right up to a pump.
Its hardly a couple bucks though. In Southern California, Costco is at 4.20 for regular. The average at other places is 4.60. So it’s .40 savings per gallon x 25 gals. That’s $10 each fill up in savings. Let’s say you do that every other week. $260 in yearly savings. Mine gets me from A to B too, just with more money in pocket.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it’s top tier gas, you can look it up on the top tier gas website. Costco sells its gas at a loss because the gas station drives business to the warehouse, where it makes money. I’ve never waited 30 minutes for gas haha. Google will show you when your Costco gas station is busy and when it’s not for all days of the week based on history. mid morning and mid afternoon are best, usually drive right up to a pump.
Its hardly a couple bucks though. In Southern California, Costco is at 4.20 for regular. The average at other places is 4.60. So it’s .40 savings per gallon x 25 gals. That’s $10 each fill up in savings. Let’s say you do that every other week. $260 in yearly savings. Mine gets me from A to B too, just with more money in pocket.
Agree with what you're saying except they don't lose money on gasoline sales. Its low margin, yes. But at 10% of their overall revenue gasoline sales are still priced for profit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan