Aluminum radiator woes - fresh problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
may be the case for certain brands or use, and ya I'm sure not every single one breaks, but this shop has like 8 stations in there going repairing guess what? aluminum radiators
they could have fixed mine if it had broken pretty much anywhere else than the tank seam. they do a lot of industrial and farm equipment work
View attachment 401434
That photo brings back memories. My grandpa was the only guy in Amador or Calaveras counties that did radiator work for many years. I grew up learning to repair brass radiators.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a Cold Case in thecopcar for 18 months now. I took a peak earlier tonight. No signs of any seepage that I could see. Overflow tank is still right on the full mark too.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may be the case for certain brands or use, and ya I'm sure not every single one breaks, but this shop has like 8 stations in there going repairing guess what? aluminum radiators
they could have fixed mine if it had broken pretty much anywhere else than the tank seam. they do a lot of industrial and farm equipment work
View attachment 401434
Being that 99% of radiators are aluminum now, it would make sense that when one comes in, it's aluminum. The fact that they aren't repairing plastic sided ones is likely because they're so cheap to just replace

That's like saying all the tires that need replaced at my buddys shop are rubber

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume mine could have been a crib-death, aka dead on arrival. I always had an issue with losing coolant, and have been chasing any possibilities besides the Champion unit I have. Once I could see the Dexcool smear on the end-tank weld I threw in the towel.

I have the RMA number for a new radiator, and I'm hoping that receiving it direct from the manufacturer will reduce the chances of any damage from shipping, as I bought mine through a 3rd-party vendor. It may have gotten dinged or dropped en-route to them. I will say that they were awesome about returning it... and responded within 15 minutes with an RMA #. I just sent them a pic of a leaky weld and they hooked it up.

I should have just bought a new AC Delco unit, but the price is 2x what the Champion cost, and even with the leaks it still cools very well.

Use me as an example of what not to do.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that 99% of radiators are aluminum now, it would make sense that when one comes in, it's aluminum. The fact that they aren't repairing plastic sided ones is likely because they're so cheap to just replace

That's like saying all the tires that need replaced at my buddys shop are rubber
technically we were talking about the aftermarket ones what they said was that you can pretty much knock on wood that they would leak in a year and I asked if there was any brand that did not leak and they said no. my coldcase took 3-4 months to arrive when I ordered it, it failed in less than 90 days and even though it was under warranty, a replacement wasn't coming for maybe another 3-4 months because they were still on back order. so I gave up on one at that point I might try another one in the future. I push this thing too hard to not try and do something to alleviate the heat a bigger core radiator is cheaper than a new engine.
go figure I check summit and it shows more than 10 in stock now lol.

Reaction score
I think the all aluminum one I have in the '33 is an Afco (??). Been in there since about 2011, but only 8k miles. No leaks. It was also about $800-900

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
My Cold case is still kicking, no signs of seepage.
I also used one or two of those "Gm cooling system pellets" when I built the engine.
Maybe it helped?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Also, the Champion in my vette has been doing fine for many years now.
And i beat the fk out of it. :ehcapt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts