Aluminum radiator woes - fresh problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix one problem, five pop up....

while trying to trace a new noise under the hood during startup:
I noticed a fresh and very evident coolant leak coming out of the end-tank to core weld.

P1MKj9g.jpg
8Rz0GZs.jpg
mtEIjdh.jpg

And also the other is spraying more out via the cooling fan:

4bwlczp.jpg
k9BEnrc.jpg

That's the one I bought, and to their credit, Big Dog's c/s emailed me back in like 15 minutes with an RMA to Champion.

But, I have to send mine in first, which is a problem, as I need a daily driver for kids pickups/drop-offs.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, unless you tow or hot rod around and worried about needing the extra cooling. I'd grab a cheap auto parts store one, toss it in and return that and get your money back. that's pretty bad build quality to be leaking out of welds.

I can't remember ever having a auto parts store no name replacement fail any more often than anything else. plus I've found the air flow from quality fans makes more difference in cooling than a 1/4in thicker radiator core. I've got a 99$ autozone replacing in front of a decent camed 406 sbc that's notorious for overheating. never has an issue.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a new radiator (will probably sell the Champion unit after RMA), water pump, pulleys, valve cover gaskets, thermostat.

Will be ordering more parts when my piggy bank refreshes.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying this caused your issue, but did you use pre-diluted coolant? Or buy the concentrated stuff. I used the concentrated/undiluted stuff one time and I didn't mix it 50/50. I had probably 60-70% coolant and 30-40% distilled water. But then I developed 2 leaks less than a year or so later. Several people asked about the coolant ratio, and when I fessed up I was told that could be my issue. Something about the coolant being too acidic or something, so it ends up destroying gaskets, seals, and even aluminum if it is not properly diluted.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying this caused your issue, but did you use pre-diluted coolant? Or buy the concentrated stuff. I used the concentrated/undiluted stuff one time and I didn't mix it 50/50. I had probably 60-70% coolant and 30-40% distilled water. But then I developed 2 leaks less than a year or so later. Several people asked about the coolant ratio, and when I fessed up I was told that could be my issue. Something about the coolant being too acidic or something, so it ends up destroying gaskets, seals, and even aluminum if it is not properly diluted.

I use the pre-dilluted 50/50 mix, but good question.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MURDD0CK