1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator swap info

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by CdnDenali, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Resident Resident

Name:
    Tony
    In my case I just lucked out. Went to the parts store and it was the same price as the 130 amp. Nice little upgrade, especially if you're running some extra electrical equipment.

2. CdnDenali

CdnDenali Member

Name:
    Alex
    those HD's with 6L or diesel engines?

3. mals

mals Full Access Member

Name:
    Thomas
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but for the record the LQ4 is the 6.0L 8-cyl gas engine that came in the following vehicles (according to wikipedia):

LQ4 Applications (1999–2007):

Chevrolet Express / GMC Savana
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Pickup, 3500 Pickup / GMC Sierra 2500 HD Pickup, 3500 Pickup, 1500HD Crew Cab Denali
    Chevrolet Suburban / GMC Yukon XL Denali
    Hummer H2 SUT
    GMC Yukon Denali

I don't know if all LQ4s came with 160amp alternators, but if you're pulling one in a salvage yard you can look for the KW1 RPO code in the glovebox.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. CdnDenali

CdnDenali Member

Name:
    Alex
    I always thought HD's only came equipped with diesel engines only, thanks for the clarification mals. So I guess any HD of the same generataion/engine will work

5. CdnDenali

CdnDenali Member

Name:
    Alex
    Hey mals, I believe yours is a 2pin Alternator plug? Mine is a 4pin plug.

6. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    My 06 Z71 has 160 on the RPO build sheet.

7. CdnDenali

CdnDenali Member

Name:
    Alex
    OK figured it out, since '05 & '06 is a 2pin connector, its just figuring out which/what wire is what via the IMG_0879.JPG service manual/schematic. Disconnected my 4pin plug which is really a 2 wire, either make an adapter so you can go either way or remove wires from 4pin connector and put in place a 2pin connector... Now you can have a 160amp alternator equipped with a 2pin connector.

8. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

Name:
    Jim
    Did this actually work or did it through alternator into default mode at 13 volts?

QUOTE="CdnDenali, post: 1103971, member: 5757"]OK figured it out, since '05 & '06 is a 2pin connector, its just figuring out which/what wire is what via the View attachment 80510 service manual/schematic. Disconnected my 4pin plug which is really a 2 wire, either make an adapter so you can go either way or remove wires from 4pin connector and put in place a 2pin connector... Now you can have a 160amp alternator equipped with a 2pin connector.[/QUOTE]

9. exp500

exp500 Full Access Member

Name:
    j
    My recommendation is stay Plug N play. No adapter harness. There are a few different ways this can be done- Correct OEM or aftermarket. Several OEM applications work reclocking, but why bother with that since correct clock is available.
    The trick is figureing out Exactly what you have- Not just itsa cs130 or such. Truck config matters too- where do the wires go? And why. Lastly what are your Amp needs?