Alternator Issue after LED install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71 Dude55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe Z71 and just recently installed a few LED lights, 4 in total. I ran two of them on one harness, and the other two on separate harnesses for a total of 3 harnesses. I ran all three to the battery and after driving for about 30 minutes, the "Battery not charging" and "service brake booster" messages intermittently came off and on for the whole drive. Once in awhile it would go back to normal but wouldn't last more than a few minutes. My voltage dropped from 14 to about 12 and slowly just went lower and lower until the battery died. I'm not sure if the battery has been replaced or if the alternator has been replaced but before I change those, I want to see if there is a different solution. I read through other posts but couldn't find much on my specific issue. I don't know much about electrical so that's why I'm asking.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
Need a lot more information. What kind of leds...like, lightbars, headlights, driving lights? relays, fuses, switches? worked on or around anything else? sounds like your battery connection is junk... but i have no where near enough information to diagnose whats going on.

OP
OP
Z71 Dude55

Z71 Dude55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, One 52 inch light bar, one 22 inch light bar, and two 4 inch pods. They are all on relays with 20amp fuses and have separate switches. I didn't touch anything else, just connected my lights via the relay harness + switches all to the battery. I'm not sure if my alternator is 105amp or if its a bigger like 145. Battery is something like 860 CCA.
Not sure if its a coincidence but this problem only started happening after the lights were all installed and I installed them all at the same time. Before this, the voltage always read at 14+

JbPiYx5OU8AHaHa&w=190&h=190&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.35&pid=1.jpg (3 of these just wired to the battery) the 2 pods are connected to just one harness + switch. The other two light bars have their own harness + switch.

OP
OP
Z71 Dude55

Z71 Dude55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also tried removing the light connections from the battery and running it like normal but got the same result, just draining the battery, no charge while driving.

Lancem

Reaction score
Bad alternator, it was probably on it's last leg and adding the lights just happened to push it over the edge.

OP
OP
Z71 Dude55

Z71 Dude55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bad alternator, it was probably on it's last leg and adding the lights just happened to push it over the edge.

Ok, yeah I went ahead and scanned it this evening and received a P1637 code for "Generator L terminal circuit" However no check engine that might come with a faulty PCM. I also checked all connections and grounds and they were tight. So I think I will order a new alternator and im sure youre right that it will solve the issue. Thanks for the help.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah those lights should have no effect on the alternator unless they’re faulty.

OP
OP
Z71 Dude55

Z71 Dude55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah those lights should have no effect on the alternator unless they’re faulty.

So you don't think the alternator is the issue? What exactly is the P1637 code for "Generator L terminal circuit" ?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don't think the alternator is the issue? What exactly is the P1637 code for "Generator L terminal circuit" ?
I didn’t say the alternator isn’t the problem, I do not know if it’s bad. I just meant a few led bars isn’t enough of a load to cause an alternator to go out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2