Alternator Bearing Question **Noise Solved**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Stethescope long screwdriver-long extention anything to touch the part while running and put to your ear.Always find my noise with a long screw driver you will know when you find it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the off chance that it is the alternator, I went ahead and swapped it. I kept my NAPA receipt from like 5 years ago so it was free for me and a 15 minute job.
I’ll post an update tomorrow morning and go from there.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I still have the noise on cold starts.

To summarize,
- alternator replaced (preventative / it was free to me)
- no issues observed with tensioners or belts (all GM parts, installed new back in April)
- no other pulleys made noise or otherwise brought up concern
- slight movement of the steering wheel eliminates the noise, until I let go of the steering wheel
- Intake area sprayed with carb cleaner and no surging was observed
- exhaust was done back over the summer so I wouldn't imagine an exhaust leak (resurfaced manifolds, everything else was new from the bolts, gaskets, pipes, cats, O2 sensors, etc.). The exhaust manifold bolts were double checked for tightness.

I've narrowed it down to one of a couple potential sources:
- vacuum leak
- PS pump
- something else with the intake that I'm missing

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On cold start with the whistling noise, the sound goes away as soon as I slightly turn the steering wheel. When I stop trying to turn the steering we wheel the sound comes back.
you might try flushing the power steering fluid if it hasn't been done.
all you need is approx 1 gallon gm power steering fluid, transfer pump (harbor freight or autoparts store has them cheap) and a bucket.
jack up the front end so both tires are just off the ground.
engine off- take the power steering cap off, stick the transfer pump hose in and pump out as much fluid as you can
refill with fresh fluid (as much as you pumped out)
put filler cap back on, start engine and rotate wheels full left/right several times, shut engine off
repeat process, until 1 gallon fresh fluid has been transferred in.
1 gallon is usually enough to give the system a good flush and you will see the difference from black looking fluid to clear looking.
some people take the lines off and do it that way but the above is my preferred method
doing this may or may not help the problem. certainly couldn't hurt.
in addition there may be some kind of snake-oil additive that may help, I have never used any but I think I have seen some at the autoparts store before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the idea! I was debating on doing a flush / drain and fill but was holding off on the off chance that I had to replace the pump. I’ll go ahead and get that done and report back.

As far as fluid goes do I need to stick with GM fluid or could I use a third party brand like Prestone or Valvoline, provided that the specs are consistent? I typically go with OEM fluids anyways but I can get third party stuff much faster.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and did the PS fluid flush. My old fluid was darker like a brownish color, but definitely not black or old oil brown. My brakes are a little firmer but I am also getting the hissing sound when I press on the brakes (I have hydroboost). Cold start this morning was the same as previous days in terms of the whistling noise.

I'll pull the belts tomorrow morning and see if the noise persists. How long can I let the engine run without belts and be okay with it? The whistling sound only appears when the engine has been running for 20-30 seconds, and I didn't think that you were supposed to run without belts much longer than that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and did the PS fluid flush. My old fluid was darker like a brownish color, but definitely not black or old oil brown. My brakes are a little firmer but I am also getting the hissing sound when I press on the brakes (I have hydroboost). Cold start this morning was the same as previous days in terms of the whistling noise.

I'll pull the belts tomorrow morning and see if the noise persists. How long can I let the engine run without belts and be okay with it? The whistling sound only appears when the engine has been running for 20-30 seconds, and I didn't think that you were supposed to run without belts much longer than that.
if it's cold I would say you can run it safely for a minute, if it's really cold maybe a little longer
there's really no data on this just speculating, technically the thermostat doesn't even open until it reaches 180deg or so
I'm sure some engine builders have pushed the limits and may have more input.
I figured the flush was worth a try... same thing I would have done

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran some cold start tests this morning:
(Shown in order performed)
1) No belts: no noise
2) AC belt only: no noise
3) Both belts on: whistling sound came through almost immediately

The sound is definitely the loudest on the driver’s side, which leaves me with the following potential sources (correct me if I’m wrong):
- Power Steering pump
- Hydroboost
- power steering line(s)
- vacuum leak (unlikely?)

How do I go about testing these two components?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin Case