Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In doing my research for securing my trucks, I found a360 degree camera that you can mount inside, at about the rear view mirror spot. That might help you if some putz tries to steal from you again.
A link would be great...!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A link would be great...!
I originally didn't post the link because I would have had to go searching for it...

https://www.waylens.com/360/

There are also some safety systems that rely on cameras installed on each side of your car's exterior. They are primarily for driver assist, but have a secondary function of security. Looks for 360 degree camera system for that.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not mean to nose into your personal life, but have you discussed this with your employer?
We lease space in a large office building, so my employer has little influence over what the building management decides to do. My boss, our CEO, is equally concerned. He drives a Lamborghini crossover and a Ferrari, so he's definitely invested in having safe parking. I talked to building management when mine as broken into, but they weren't committing to any new measures then. However, we are talking to them again about this, given this week's incident, so we'll see if they will be more responsive this time. In the mean time, my boss is talking about putting in our own security cameras to cover the area where we are parking now, but that too will require approval from building management.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We lease space in a large office building, so my employer has little influence over what the building management decides to do. My boss, our CEO, is equally concerned. He drives a Lamborghini crossover and a Ferrari, so he's definitely invested in having safe parking. I talked to building management when mine as broken into, but they weren't committing to any new measures then. However, we are talking to them again about this, given this week's incident, so we'll see if they will be more responsive this time. In the mean time, my boss is talking about putting in our own security cameras to cover the area where we are parking now, but that too will require approval from building management.
Maybe you should rally other building denizens to head to the parking lot, block the entrance and/or exit, and chant something like "no security, no cooperation" -- for your safety. That seems to always work. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should rally other building denizens to head to the parking lot, block the entrance and/or exit, and chant something like "no security, no cooperation" -- for your safety. That seems to always work. :rolleyes:
Yeah, like all 6 off us. :p Since Covid hardly anyone is coming to the office here. That's part of the problem, not enough traffic through the garage right now to interrupt thieves from doing their business.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still planning on making a CNC aluminum door handle base to replace the plastic one, but it's taking longer than I had anticipated. Non-parallel surfaces and variable radii corners are taking a lot of time to measure precisely and recreate in SolidWorks. Still, I hope to have a design that I can get a firm quote on soon.

Might look and see if you can get someone local to do a 3D scan of the handle. That will get you the surface geometry that you are looking for.

Who are you using for your on-line machine shop? I have had good luck with Proto Labs and Xometry. Another route instead of getting it machined is to look into getting them 3D printed.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might look and see if you can get someone local to do a 3D scan of the handle. That will get you the surface geometry that you are looking for.

Who are you using for your on-line machine shop? I have had good luck with Proto Labs and Xometry. Another route instead of getting it machined is to look into getting them 3D printed.
I actually got the a quote on a rough first draft model from Xometry. I like them better than ProtoLabs because they generate it online and you get the quote immediately, but I'll likely shop this around locally once I have the design files finished. Xometry gave me a quote of $375 for one or $75 each for 25. Since I'm planning on making it out of 7075-T6 it might be good to give it a Type III hard coat anodizing before paint, that would add a few dollars more. I have a pretty nice 3D printer at work, so I'll probably print it once I'm done so I can compare it to the OEM and check fitment before sending it out to a machine shop.

Could do a 3D scan I suppose, but it would still need design work to make the modifications that I have in mind to secure the lock cylinder (see post #155). I just need things at home to slow down a bit so that I have time to finish the design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts