Almost lost the Tahoe today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something just occurred to me on this, and I figured I should voice it before you get too far into it: How hard will it be to simply pull the whole assembly out of the sheet metal of the doors? Sorry if this is a dumb question, and i apologize for being negative. But I am very interested in this.
I would guess that it could be done with a crowbar, but I don't think it would be easy. I seriously doubt that you could do it with a screw driver, which is usually what they use to punch the lock in. Realize that if they are determined to get in, they will, unless you are going send your vehicle out to be armored. The simplest avenue is for them to simply smash the window, but as soon as they open the door the alarm will go off. What I am counting on is that they are on a time limit and have a specific plan for getting in. If I can mess with that plan, hopefully they won't stay there longer and risk being discovered, and will go look for easier prey.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, one month since the low-lifes tried to steal the Tahoe. The repairs are completed and everything is mostly back like it should be. I am still planning on making a CNC aluminum door handle base to replace the plastic one, but it's taking longer than I had anticipated. Non-parallel surfaces and variable radii corners are taking a lot of time to measure precisely and recreate in SolidWorks. Still, I hope to have a design that I can get a firm quote on soon.

Since the break in, I have been parking is a different part of the parking garage, although I don't know if it really matters all that much. And since I vacated my usual parking spot a Carrera has been parking there every day. Well, yesterday I noticed the Porsche wasn't there, but there was glass all over the ground. I have been able to confirm there was another break in, but I don't know yet if they actually managed to steal the car. Building management really needs to step up and do something here. I had spoken to them after my incident and they said they had no plans to improve security, but maybe now they will reconsider. There certainly are things that they could do.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, one month since the low-lifes tried to steal the Tahoe. The repairs are completed and everything is mostly back like it should be. I am still planning on making a CNC aluminum door handle base to replace the plastic one, but it's taking longer than I had anticipated. Non-parallel surfaces and variable radii corners are taking a lot of time to measure precisely and recreate in SolidWorks. Still, I hope to have a design that I can get a firm quote on soon.

Since the break in, I have been parking is a different part of the parking garage, although I don't know if it really matters all that much. And since I vacated my usual parking spot a Carrera has been parking there every day. Well, yesterday I noticed the Porsche wasn't there, but there was glass all over the ground. I have been able to confirm there was another break in, but I don't know yet if they actually managed to steal the car. Building management really needs to step up and do something here. I had spoken to them after my incident and they said they had no plans to improve security, but maybe now they will reconsider. There certainly are things that they could do.
Sonofa!!! [emoji2959][emoji35][emoji2959][emoji35]

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Someone was on my driveway last night and when my wife switched on the front lights and lit up the driveway, someone spooked, banged into my truck which set off the shock sensor, lights and horn blasting. Hopefully, that's enough of a deterrent that they'll not come back.

Your parking garage seems inviting to thieves, there is nothing obvious to deter them.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't say this lightly: It might be time to move, if your building management doesn't take security seriously. Depending on where you are, lack of security might be sufficient to break your lease.

Good luck, man.

We've got our Sierra back and the silverado is in the shop for its final repairs from our attempted theft in September. We're currently parking the Sierra in the locked garage, putting off the expense of the alarm install until we get the Silverado back. The current estimate is Friday of this week, but experience tells me it isn't going to happen until next week. :(

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't say this lightly: It might be time to move, if your building management doesn't take security seriously. Depending on where you are, lack of security might be sufficient to break your lease.

Good luck, man.

We've got our Sierra back and the silverado is in the shop for its final repairs from our attempted theft in September. We're currently parking the Sierra in the locked garage, putting off the expense of the alarm install until we get the Silverado back. The current estimate is Friday of this week, but experience tells me it isn't going to happen until next week. :(

I think that this happened at the garage at work.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone was on my driveway last night and when my wife switched on the front lights and lit up the driveway, someone spooked, banged into my truck which set off the shock sensor, lights and horn blasting. Hopefully, that's enough of a deterrent that they'll not come back.

Your parking garage seems inviting to thieves, there is nothing obvious to deter them.
Hopefully, the alarm going off will keep them from coming back.

My office isn't in the best part of Denver. The garage looks more secure than it is, there are steel roll-up doors for the car entrance/exit and the pedestrian doors all require a fob or ticket to enter, but it really isn't hard to get past any of that. Unfortunately, they only have cameras on the doors, none on any of the parking ramps.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck, man.

Yeah, this is my office where this is happening.

Good luck getting yours back quickly.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, the alarm going off will keep them from coming back.

My office isn't in the best part of Denver. The garage looks more secure than it is, there are steel roll-up doors for the car entrance/exit and the pedestrian doors all require a fob or ticket to enter, but it really isn't hard to get past any of that. Unfortunately, they only have cameras on the doors, none on any of the parking ramps.
In doing my research for securing my trucks, I found a360 degree camera that you can mount inside, at about the rear view mirror spot. That might help you if some putz tries to steal from you again.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In doing my research for securing my trucks, I found a360 degree camera that you can mount inside, at about the rear view mirror spot. That might help you if some putz tries to steal from you again.
Yeah, thought about that, but I figured a camera would be the first thing they would rip out and take with them. After all, they ripped out my overhead console to tear out the OnStar mic. Apparently the OnStar system is inoperative without the mic.