Airaid jr questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about all the fitment stuff on that, as far as a smog in Ca it depends on the age and I think how many owners it has had, for age I think it is 7 years if you are the original owner, and maybe a 2nd owner and/or if it was sold within a certain time period, I think if I sold it now then it would require a smog. (not sure on the details) but I am the 2nd owner on my 2018 and it has not required a smog (yet) I have a CAI on mine that I had shipped from another person out of state because it is not carb complaint and I am not worried about it, when it comes time to get a smog I can just put the oem intake back on, go get it smogged and then put the CAI back on
Second owner. Truck is minty fresh lol but okay so I still got a minute b4 smog is needed. I really want to gut my third cat and drop a corsa CAI but idk if it’s worth all the trouble. I get that thought that if I gut the cat I’ll be in some hot water. Same with the CAI. btw I have yet to see these so called CARB Sniffers on the side of the road…portable way stations yeah sure for semi trucks and people with trailers

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But then again I live down the street from a Ferrari dealership Maserati dealership Lamborghini dealership and a Dodge dealership all of these cars I see in town I’m sure some of them have to be heavy modded and totally not street legal how do they get away with it? I think of all the people that have run long tubes removed their cats tune in their vehicles how do they hide that how do they smog it they just have disposal money sitting in a bank account for when the shit hits the fan and got to go to a shop and put all the factory parts back on it and pass smog and then go back to the shop and then put all the aftermarket parts back on it like that it sounds like a real pain in the ass

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then again I live down the street from a Ferrari dealership Maserati dealership Lamborghini dealership and a Dodge dealership all of these cars I see in town I’m sure some of them have to be heavy modded and totally not street legal how do they get away with it? I think of all the people that have run long tubes removed their cats tune in their vehicles how do they hide that how do they smog it they just have disposal money sitting in a bank account for when the shit hits the fan and got to go to a shop and put all the factory parts back on it and pass smog and then go back to the shop and then put all the aftermarket parts back on it like that it sounds like a real pain in the ass
well a welder comes in handy then you can just make your own bolt-on, bolt-off stuff no rules against that as far as I know. The ford guys do that they just put a straight pipe in place of the cat. I still have the 3rd so called "cat" on my truck I don't know what the rules are on that, one of these days I will ask one of the smog places. the smog sniffer I was reading about I have not seen any myself but they have been reported online for years all over. I have seen the roadside trailer tester where they pull you up on a trailer and test you on the spot but know your rights those voluntary you are not required to do one of those test's they are just for BAR to gauge smog.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well a welder comes in handy then you can just make your own bolt-on, bolt-off stuff no rules against that as far as I know. The ford guys do that they just put a straight pipe in place of the cat. I still have the 3rd so called "cat" on my truck I don't know what the rules are on that, one of these days I will ask one of the smog places. the smog sniffer I was reading about I have not seen any myself but they have been reported online for years all over. I have seen the roadside trailer tester where they pull you up on a trailer and test you on the spot but know your rights those voluntary you are not required to do one of those test's they are just for BAR to gauge smog.
I never thought of that As I do know how to weld a piece of steel, it ain’t no roll of quarters
I can’t believe nobody on here with this Gen truck has unbolted that flex right behind the third cat gutted it and put that flex pipe back on leave the third cat there with no shit inside

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...so I’m thinking if I remove the airbox and put a shield with a con filter I’m gonna get that fresh cold air out of the fender and the hood should seal the cone inside the shield when hood is closed
Nope, it's not gonna be a cold air intake anymore set up like that. The stock airbox only needs replacing after about 450 horsepower or so.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking if I remove the airbox and put a shield with a con filter I’m gonna get that fresh cold air out of the fender and the hood should seal the cone inside the shield when hood is closed

The factory air box already gets "fresh cold air out of the fender" and I don't have very much faith in the hood sealing a metal shield better than the box that fully encapsulates the filter.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there is a rectangle-ISH cut out on the inside of the fender and the airbox does sit nicely in that I see.
That is why I asked about your current setup. You already have a CAI as OEM equipment, so adding an aftermarket CAI won't do anything for you performance-wise.

If you want a different pipe connecting your OEM CAI box to your intake manifold, you may want to consider an Airaid MIT (modular intake tube), which is only the connecting pipe. You won't get any additional performance out of it, but you will be able to clean up the look of the front of the motor.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why I asked about your current setup. You already have a CAI as OEM equipment, so adding an aftermarket CAI won't do anything for you performance-wise.

If you want a different pipe connecting your OEM CAI box to your intake manifold, you may want to consider an Airaid MIT (modular intake tube), which is only the connecting pipe. You won't get any additional performance out of it, but you will be able to clean up the look of the front of the motor.

Cleans up the appearance and get a throaty intake growl that varies with load. The sound was enough for me to bump my muffler upgrade down the list a little.

He might actually get a slightly noticeable bump in performance. IIRC, Blackbear showed the Gen V engines to actually benefit from a smoother intake path. Maybe their intake duct setup is lesser efficient than the previous gens?

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean up the appearance and get a throaty intake growl that varies with load. The sound was enough for me to bump my muffler upgrade down the list a little.

He might actually get a slightly noticeable bump in performance. IIRC, Blackbear showed the Gen V engines to actually benefit from a smoother intake path. Maybe their intake duct setup is lesser efficient than the previous gens?
The tube on thecopcar does the throaty thing, which is all I was after. I did notice it got very pronounced last winter with damp air and sub freezing temperatures.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tube on thecopcar does the throaty thing, which is all I was after. I did notice it got very pronounced last winter with damp air and sub freezing temperatures.

Goes to show you how effective a Helmholtz chamber can be. Which is why, when done properly, will be very effective on the exhaust. It's also air through a tube, just heated and with other gases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st