Air horn wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the feedback so far and apologize for not joining into the discussion as of yet. Been working my a$$ off these last few days. I’m gonna take a closer look in the next day or two to remind myself of exactly what kinda wiring situation I have to work with. I installed it behind the front grille so there’s a little legwork involved in getting eyes and hands back on everything.
The horn is nothing fancy. I think I only paid about $80 for it. I am almost certain there is a relay involved. Once I have a good look I will update.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Okay this little project got postponed and I am finally digging into it. My air horn does have a relay. Wires coming from it total 4. One grounds to the frame. One attaches to an accessory post for the battery. The other two run into the cab to the push button I installed to sound the horn. Can I simply take the wire off the accessory post and tie it to the 12v for my factory horn? Then what about the toggle wires? Permanently tie them together eliminating the push button?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay this little project got postponed and I am finally digging into it. My air horn does have a relay. Wires coming from it total 4. One grounds to the frame. One attaches to an accessory post for the battery. The other two run into the cab to the push button I installed to sound the horn. Can I simply take the wire off the accessory post and tie it to the 12v for my factory horn? Then what about the toggle wires? Permanently tie them together eliminating the push button?
check the 2 wires going to your push button and see if one is positive and one is negative or if there is no voltage and they only provide continuity.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
20210630_152717.jpg
I found this simple diagram. I'm gonna try to follow it myself. I have one of these air horns have installed in my work van.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They only provide continuity.

So, if you shorted those two smaller wires together, the air horn sounds?

Can you access the terminals of the relay? If so, you can piggyback off the two wires going to one of the factory horns.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They only provide continuity.
ok then you should be able to just connect those 2 wires to the factory horn wires and be good to go, shouldn't make any difference on polarity, if it does just swap them around the opposite way. you can test this by just unplugging a factory horn and stick the 2 wires in the harness and press the horn button.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
ok then you should be able to just connect those 2 wires to the factory horn wires and be good to go, shouldn't make any difference on polarity, if it does just swap them around the opposite way. you can test this by just unplugging a factory horn and stick the 2 wires in the harness and press the horn button.
So I just wanna be clear here. I want both the factory horn and the air horn to sound when I push the stock trigger (I.e. steering wheel center). To achieve this I should be able to take the two air horn leads running to my push button and simply tap them into the two leads running out to my stock horn, correct? That sounds pretty simple, which usually spells trouble for me. Maybe the trouble is gonna come in the way of tracking down the horn and the factory wires. Lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just wanna be clear here. I want both the factory horn and the air horn to sound when I push the stock trigger (I.e. steering wheel center). To achieve this I should be able to take the two air horn leads running to my push button and simply tap them into the two leads running out to my stock horn, correct? That sounds pretty simple, which usually spells trouble for me. Maybe the trouble is gonna come in the way of tracking down the horn and the factory wires. Lol
Yes it should work exactly that way, the factory horns are right behind the grill, should be basically behind the grill under the headlight area, I haven't messed with a nbs in a while, you may be able to reach the horn harness from under the bumper (maybe) you should have one on each side, but may only have one horn.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Yes it should work exactly that way, the factory horns are right behind the grill, should be basically behind the grill under the headlight area, I haven't messed with a nbs in a while, you may be able to reach the horn harness from under the bumper (maybe) you should have one on each side, but may only have one horn.
Not sure on quantity, but what I have found online does place it in the same area that you describe. Fighting afternoon downpours at the moment but I’m gonna give it hell as soon as I get a break. Lol. Thanks for the assist.. to everyone commenting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan