Air Conditioner Issues, 5.3 Z Vin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the plan. I was probably going to pick up a can of that AC Pro System Flush. I was going to forgo this step but I saw a video and he said the amount of crap that came out of his system was pretty immense.
It usually is on a 15+ Yr old vehicle with a well worn comrpessor. You should see the crap that comes out when a compressor grenades.

OP
OP
droptopchevy

droptopchevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It usually is on a 15+ Yr old vehicle with a well worn comrpessor. You should see the crap that comes out when a compressor grenades.
Is there a way to determine whether mine puked it's guts up or went quietly? Or is it one of those situations where you won't have to ask if it did?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to determine whether mine puked it's guts up or went quietly? Or is it one of those situations where you won't have to ask if it did?
Usually a compressor when it dies either locks up totally and throws or breaks its belt or it no longer compresses and you end up with zero or very low pressure on the low side.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Silverado sometimes doesnt engage the clutch. If you are brave, with the engine running and the ac switch on... bump the clutch towards the compressor with a stick. The coil on mine is weak and doesnt always pull the clutch in, but once its engaged it holds fine. So i run it on max so it wont disengage lol

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, as a side note...I just replaced my compressor and tensioner pulley, and there was absolutely NO WAY it was coming out under the truck. Unlike every video I saw on youtube, there was just no pathway for it to exit! Too many lines and all the steering stuff. (And she's only a 2WD!!) I ended up taking off the fan, the shrouds and she came right up thru the front. I hadn't planned on doing all that, so I didn't order the tools. Went to O'Tahoe Fan Clutch tool.jpgReilly and rented a 36mm wrench and they didn't have the correct tool for the water pump pulley...so I improvised. Worked like a charm!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, as a side note...I just replaced my compressor and tensioner pulley, and there was absolutely NO WAY it was coming out under the truck. Unlike every video I saw on youtube, there was just no pathway for it to exit! Too many lines and all the steering stuff. (And she's only a 2WD!!) I ended up taking off the fan, the shrouds and she came right up thru the front. I hadn't planned on doing all that, so I didn't order the tools. Went to O'View attachment 371000Reilly and rented a 36mm wrench and they didn't have the correct tool for the water pump pulley...so I improvised. Worked like a charm!
That there is GENIUS at work! That is an amazing solution!!! Makes job easy, tool is inexpensive and works.

First and last one I did one was my 05 Jeep 4.0L. I managed to take a pry bar and wedge it in between the inside of the pulley and the housing. Just enough pressure to keep it from spinning while I spun the fan clutch off. Your method is a little less risky.

I plan on buying one of those vice grips soon, just to have on hand. I could have used it on my last oil change (PO really cranked it on there).

Thanks for this idea!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That there is GENIUS at work! That is an amazing solution!!! Makes job easy, tool is inexpensive and works.

First and last one I did one was my 05 Jeep 4.0L. I managed to take a pry bar and wedge it in between the inside of the pulley and the housing. Just enough pressure to keep it from spinning while I spun the fan clutch off. Your method is a little less risky.

I plan on buying one of those vice grips soon, just to have on hand. I could have used it on my last oil change (PO really cranked it on there).

Thanks for this idea!
$14.99

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01