Air Compressor Self Test Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Where do you live?

My Pontiacs both have a load leveling suspension with the air compressor. They almost always come on with the key for 4 seconds and you can hear the valve open briefly (1.5 sec) too. Why sometimes not? I don't know, never bothered to look into it.

Hi, @swathdiver I live in NC on the coast outside of Morehead City. I am perplexed at this point. What you and @Doubeleive state is what was happening until after I went for the first ride with the new shocks. I filled up with Gas and then it stopped doing the check. That is why I did the trailer test and such. This weekend I had the kids loaded up and about 30 seconds after start up the compressor kicked on and leveled it up. But still not precheck anymore...

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
I have owned mine since 98k and never once heard it kick on. I have also towed 4500 pounds with zero zag and perfect level. Both shocks hold air and no issue with ride quality .

Seem that is like this with my buddies 14 as well, @97audia4. He was wondering wtf I was talking about. He stated his only did this when his boat was on the truck or he had a load in. I just don't get because otherwise, it does just like it should with adding air and releasing air. Maybe I am jumping at shadows here but it was certainly doing it before the new shocks and when I first put the new ones on

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was a tsb that another person posted recently that described some issue's and fixes for the air suspension and one of them was the system would only occasionally self-check and basically it said it would only self check if it sat for a extended of time but gave no other explanation and just completely contradicts what it is supposed to do. so? I don't know other than I replaced mine and it self test's every time now like it should each time I cycle the key regardless if it has been 10 seconds or 5 days or anything.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, @swathdiver I live in NC on the coast outside of Morehead City. I am perplexed at this point. What you and @Doubeleive state is what was happening until after I went for the first ride with the new shocks. I filled up with Gas and then it stopped doing the check. That is why I did the trailer test and such. This weekend I had the kids loaded up and about 30 seconds after start up the compressor kicked on and leveled it up. But still not precheck anymore...

If you were closer I'd hook up the Tech2 and have a look. Beautiful area, used to spend a lot of time in Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
If you were closer I'd hook up the Tech2 and have a look. Beautiful area, used to spend a lot of time in Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach.

Thanks for the offer... I'm going to keep playing with it and I may just end up getting one myself after the holiday.. a couple of other items on the list first ...
Yeah went to school at UNCW moved up here to Emerald Isle for a little more peace and quiet... Wilmington was great though .....

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Ok update here on the Self Check

It is working on startup now. What did I do... Not much the truck has been working fine I have been doing a lot of towing over the last couple of months and the leveling system continues to work as it should since changing out the shocks and compressor. Today I took out the spare in prep for changing the diff oil and thought I'm going to disconnect the air hoses and let the shock's air out and see what happens. So I did that and the self-test kicked on and added air to the deflated shock. I thought that perhaps the bulletin discussed in this thread was correct and once aired back to the base state it would be silent as it has been since Nov. Well, I have tried 10 x's and every time the self-test kicks in as it should. Why ??? No Idea but it is now working go figure.....

Reaction score
Ok update here on the Self Check

It is working on startup now. What did I do... Not much the truck has been working fine I have been doing a lot of towing over the last couple of months and the leveling system continues to work as it should since changing out the shocks and compressor. Today I took out the spare in prep for changing the diff oil and thought I'm going to disconnect the air hoses and let the shock's air out and see what happens. So I did that and the self-test kicked on and added air to the deflated shock. I thought that perhaps the bulletin discussed in this thread was correct and once aired back to the base state it would be silent as it has been since Nov. Well, I have tried 10 x's and every time the self-test kicks in as it should. Why ??? No Idea but it is now working go figure.....
So all you did was disconnect the air hoses from each shock? Did you remove any fuses prior to doing so, or did you just disconnect each air line? Was the truck on and running when you did this, or did you disconnect the air lines when the truck was powered off? Please help, I'm having the same problem and the dealership was no help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu