Air Compreesor Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdub5256

J-DUB
Reaction score
I bought 4 1/2 years ago a craftsman 33 gal horizontal tank from my neighbor for 35.00 kept running out of air. so i found a 60 gal tank only no compressor and hooked the two together. now i have a 93 gal tank. now alot of people told me i would quickly burn up the motor but i use it about 4 times a week n has been running perfect no problems at all.

the best part is when i hooked them up all i did was on the horizontal with the motor already mounted on it i just ran a small air line with the quick dis-connect from that over to my vertical and permentaly hooked up to the in side of the tank. this way if i need the horizontal out on the road i just unplug from wall outlet and quick dis-connect and now i am mobile

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can pick up used 60 gallon for under 300 and if it is a older one it will last. stay away from the oilless ones they are loud

+1. Oiled ones are much better because you can keep them oiled up. Oilless ones wear out faster. And agreed, CFM more important than tank size

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running a 60 gal powermate, puts out over 14cfm @ 90. should handle everything i'll throw at it in the garage. picked it up on a good deal, original buyer bought it and didn't have a 220 line set up to run it. SCORE! haha

as already stated oiled compressor will outlast oil less every time hands down if you keep up on the maintenance. you can hear yourself think when its running as well :)

Sierra53

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 60 gallon Husky from Home Depot and it is great. It is three years old and I paid about $400. I had a 33 Gallon Craftsman that I had to rebuild 3 times in 3 years due to constant use. It was very loud and annoying.

Vegasf6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing an air compressor but I haven't got a clue as to what I'm looking for.

I thinking around $200 - 300

It would be for home/personal use and I'd like something strong enough to run a DA sander.

Any suggestions or mistakes you've made that I can learn from?

D/As do require a lot of air. Do you already have your sander? Can you provide specs? Something like this I/R can use as much as 17CFM with no load. I would think that is in the ~90PSI range.
If you buy a compressor that cannot deliver enough volume of air at the given pressure, you can still run your sander while using your tank reserve. But you will find you have to pause and let the compressor catch up occasionally. If this is not a problem for you, you may well find something in your price range. If you want 100% duty cycle and just go and go you probably need to raise your budget.

Also, don't forget you will want a decent quality high volume filter and regulator unit. I had been having an issue using rotary tools from my 60 gallon Ingersoll-Rand and I was blaming it on the 100 foot of plumbing coming into my garage. I finally realized it was my regulator wouldn't allow enough flow. Replaced it with a better one and all is well. Budget another 100 - 150 for that.

Something like this "Black Max" I find on craigslist for 300 may be worth looking at.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/3735383230.html
Doesn't give much in the way of specifications though, hopefully it is a dual stage.

A little google fu seems to suggest it's made by/for Coleman which would make sense. 12.7CFM at 40PSI. So you can see even a decent size oiless belt drive compressor still may not provide you with enough air for sanders and rotary tools. Impact tools are easy.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8433

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend spending time reading this website:

http://www.about-air-compressors.com/

It is really informative, even for me who have worked with compressors for 10 years or so, I just learned a bunch. I just picked up two compressors (oil) from a friend. They are Huskys that are made by CH.

If you look around, you can find a broken compressor that may need some minor repair (new belt, new gauge) and pick it up from cheap.

Craigs list is a shot in the dark. I would recommend perusing often and daily and you may be lucky. Avoid older units that you may have trouble finding parts for, or that have been used by shop or commercially (constant use).

Don't forget to budget for tools. It can get pretty expensive.