Again with the electrical issue.

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Daniel12, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Galante

Galante Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    So your positive cable runs from the battery to starter but also to the main fuse block under hood as stated above. If removing the positive on the battery clears your problem, something is shorting when connected....the main fuse panel on these trucks are known to rot from the inside out, as stated above, pulling it apart may damage some pins but i bet your problem resides within there, corrosion is mfer

wjburken likes this.
  2. wjburken

wjburken Full Access Member

Name:
    Wade
    Agree. Definitely worth looking at.

The corrosion does strange things. Had to replace the main fuse panel on my ‘07 Silverado due to corrosion issues. Had to pull the fuses for my headlights so they would turn off and the fuse on my horn because it would go off when the key was off.

The dealer didn’t believe me on the horn issue until his service tech put the horn fuse in and blasted everyone’s ears in the shop.

Daniel12 and Galante like this.
  3. norcalboon

norcalboon TYF Newbie

Name:
    Clay
    Worth a shot?

Daniel12 likes this.
  4. PNWstorage

PNWstorage Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    Like I previously stated, it is always best to start with the basics first. I have never been a guy that just bolts parts on unless I haven't done all the previous steps first and the first step is always the basics. Intermittent problems are the worst there is and like this guy, he stuck to the basics and lo and behold, he fixed it. Great.

Doubeleive and Daniel12 like this.
  5. Daniel12

Daniel12 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Daniel

Makes 100% sense,

Oh snap! He’s having exactly the same issues. I didn’t understand one thing though...he said he couldn’t reach the end of the lead that starts bolted to the back of the engine compartment and goes down, but then says he just replaced the whole lead and the opposing end is bolted to the alternator. Where did it go end originally and is it still there?

6. PNWstorage

PNWstorage Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    The original attachment at the back of engine is still there and still attached at firewall. The new lead is attached at engine in a different place and at the firewall as well. Think of it as a "shunt". The original attachment at engine was way easier to get to and the oe lead was likely already attached at the back of block when engine was put in and all the assembly person had to do was attach at firewall.

wjburken, Doubeleive and Daniel12 like this.
  7. derfman00

derfman00 Member

Name:
    Fred
    I am having this same problem. Vehicle would not start, but i could jump it. Battery tasted at 706 CA. After driving home, it wouldn't start again. When I released the mega fuse, I could hear the relays clicking like crazy. Locked it back down and the truck fired right up... There obviously has to be something loslo under there.

Thankfully I was able to buy it with a warranty that covers electronics.