Aftermarket Radio Installation - 2015 Tahoe LS with IO3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joaquin! Thanks for letter no me know about the guide and pictures... I took down the site where I was hosting them - I'll get them reposted soon. In the meantime, I just sent you an email with the how to guide attached. Let me know if you don't get it.

As for the back up camera, you're absolutely correct - they (Crutchfeild, Scosche and others) are now selling the adapter... AWESOME!! Too late for me since I already installed an aftermarket cam... and I'm no going back in there if I don't have to! LOL

FYI - I've contacted Metra and Scosche to ensure that their OEM camera retention harnesses will work with the IO3 radio system. The IO4 and above will likely work, but I'm not sure about the IO3 since it's such a different beast.

The Metra GMOS-MOST-01 camera retention harness looks extremely similar to the BACKUPCAM-3 harness, which in fact does not work with the IO3 radio system.

Update to follow once I hear back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard back from Metra regarding the GMOS-MOST-01 (which claims to retain OEM camera integration).

Unfortunately, for those of us with an IO3 radio, this will not work for us since our setup* is much different than the IO4, IO5 and IO6 systems.

I still have not heard back from Scosche regarding the CRTFM01, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say it won't work with the IO3 setup.

*The OEM camera wires for the IO4, IO5 and IO6 systems runs into the HMI behind the glovebox. The OEM camera wires for the IO3 systems runs into the radio module located just below the CD player in the center dash area. We're unfortunately looking at apples to oranges comparisons.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread and great write up. I'm in the process of looking for a 2015 or 2016 used Suburban LS. Looking to build a "9-passenger corvette" and I definitely want a good system in it. My '08 Avalanche rocks about 600 watts and decent bass so I will be rewiring the door speakers and putting in a sub enclosure or 2. But the head unit is the heart of a system and this thread and the install guide are by far one of the best I have seen. Great info. Thanks very much.

Classicimpala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering anyone knows I can plug the ios3 adapter in at. So I can use my factory backup camera. I looked around white I was installing my radio. And there is nothing.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering anyone knows I can plug the ios3 adapter in at. So I can use my factory backup camera. I looked around white I was installing my radio. And there is nothing.

Someone on here posted that they were able to splice in their factory camera into their aftermarket radio, but when questioned further on how the accomplished this, they never replied.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no way to do this. I ended up installing an aftermarket camera and it worked great.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my oem camera to work using the plug with the yellow video cable and the two wires, by splicing into it. go to page 24 on the website I provided. Ijust tried it and it worked.

www.westwindato.com/IO3RadioUpgrade/Tahoe%20Upgrade%20Guide.pdf

View attachment 183789

Haha... I wrote that guide. I'm not sure how you did it, because I tried several times with no joy, but that is FANTASTIC that you got it! Congrats!!!

For others looking to do the same thing, can you post exactly how you did it?

vballrican

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha... I wrote that guide. I'm not sure how you did it, because I tried several times with no joy, but that is FANTASTIC that you got it! Congrats!!!

For others looking to do the same thing, can you post exactly how you did it?

John, I want to replace my 2015 Tahoe LTZ radio as well but cannot find your guide or pictures... would you please email them to me at [email protected]

Also, would i be better off using the Maestro RR and the GM3 accessory?

Thanks.