Aftermarket Radio Installation - 2015 Tahoe LS with IO3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, amazing write-up (and love your vehicle!), very well done! Quick question if you don't mind: During your install did you ever come across an easy way to pick up the speaker wires for the two front speakers (on the dash)? I poked around but without a solid wiring diagram for a '16 Yukon Denali it's pretty useless. I'm just not that comfortable removing the dash trim. I saw a bunch of wires in the kick panel leading up to that general area but again, not sure which pairs I'm looking for. I added two tweeters to the sail panels and originally tied in to the door speakers, but they just don't drive the tweeters very well and I'm thinking the front speakers would be a better option. I'm not the best trim remover but kick panels and the dash ends were easy enough. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Denada... I appreciate that!

I didn't touch my speakers when upgrading my head unit. A lot of people will think I'm crazy, but I'm not one who can really tell the difference between a factory speaker and a good quality speaker. <don't shot me for that comment> I'm more concerned with the functionality of the controls and integration with my needs - i.e. Apple CarPlay, Pandora, etc.

I also have the LS model with the iO3 radio system so my setup is very different from yours. For example, my HMI unit is located in an entirely different spot. This all being said, I can point you to two references that may be helpful for you.

The first is a wiring diagram PDF that I found on GMUPFITTER.com. It's an amazing document that covers every wiring diagram in our vehicles. Here's the wiring diagrams for your 2016 Yukon. Do a search for the speakers you're looking for and you should be able to find the wiring diagrams and harnesses for your setup. (I believe your HMI, where the speaker wiring harness is, is located behind the glovebox.

The second place is iDatalinks website. Specifically, take a look at their iDatalink Maestro RR instruction manual. Scroll down to the Suburban/Tahoe sections and take a look at the vehicle wire reference chart - for example, page 36 within the manual. This guide will also tell you the what and where for each speaker wire. While this manual is for a 2015, I'm pretty sure the 15's and 16's are the same.

Oh... and removing the trim pieces on our trucks is super easy - just use the right trim removal tools and take your time. I hope this information helps.

Denada

Reaction score
Thanks Denada... I appreciate that!

I didn't touch my speakers when upgrading my head unit. A lot of people will think I'm crazy, but I'm not one who can really tell the difference between a factory speaker and a good quality speaker. <don't shot me for that comment> I'm more concerned with the functionality of the controls and integration with my needs - i.e. Apple CarPlay, Pandora, etc.

I also have the LS model with the iO3 radio system so my setup is very different from yours. For example, my HMI unit is located in an entirely different spot. This all being said, I can point you to two references that may be helpful for you.

The first is a wiring diagram PDF that I found on GMUPFITTER.com. It's an amazing document that covers every wiring diagram in our vehicles. Here's the wiring diagrams for your 2016 Yukon. Do a search for the speakers you're looking for and you should be able to find the wiring diagrams and harnesses for your setup. (I believe your HMI, where the speaker wiring harness is, is located behind the glovebox.

The second place is iDatalinks website. Specifically, take a look at their iDatalink Maestro RR instruction manual. Scroll down to the Suburban/Tahoe sections and take a look at the vehicle wire reference chart - for example, page 36 within the manual. This guide will also tell you the what and where for each speaker wire. While this manual is for a 2015, I'm pretty sure the 15's and 16's are the same.

Oh... and removing the trim pieces on our trucks is super easy - just use the right trim removal tools and take your time. I hope this information helps.
Wow you rock, thanks! Beer on me if you are ever in the socal area.

josacal6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I completed the Scosche GM5214SB dash kit install yesterday evening. I am much happier with this look over the Metra dash kit with the blank pocket.

The Scosche kit is very nice! It's made of heavier duty plastic than the Metra - and the clips that hold the top dash trim are metal rather than plastic like on the Metra. When removing the top dash trim last night to upgrade to the Scosche, I broke all three of the plastic clips from the Metra kit - very low quality!

After

IMG_2510.JPG

Before
IMG_2486.JPG
Hey john. I recently came up on your forum about the aftermarket Radio install. I just finished mine. I came across the same issue with the back up camera but Crutchfield told me how to do it. I Will soon tackle That issue. Another issue I have is the loudness of the turn signal. Are you getting the same issue? I tried turning it completely down and it's still loud.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jose - Congrats on your new radio... I hope the install went well.

I can't wait to hear more about the back-up camera integration... that issue still has me stumped. Out of curiosity, what model truck do you have? (LS, LT, LTZ?)

With regards to the loud turn signal, what interface did you use to retrain your vehicles settings? Are you using the Metra GMOS-LAN-09? If you used the Metra interface, the blinker sound you hear is coming from an actual relay - there's no way to control the volume. The volume adjustment on the device only controls the vehicles warning chimes. However, I buried my relay within dash in the center console, so my volume is fairly quite. If this doesn't work, you could always try wrapping the relay in high density foam (or something similar) and try burying it deep in the dash area. I hope this helps.

Again, I can't wait to hear what Crutchfield had to say about the back-up camera. As you may have read in previous threads, they weren't willing to provide me with any information about this issue.

wreedps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you take the dash apart? A write up on that would be awesome. Did you break any plastic pieces?

Any rattles or weird noises after putting it back togather?

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you take the dash apart? A write up on that would be awesome. Did you break any plastic pieces?

Any rattles or weird noises after putting it back togather?

wreedps... I did a write up... is this what you're looking for? How-To Guide

No, I didn't break any plastic pieces, and no, there are no rattles or weird noises. It's a fairly easy and straight forward install, though I took my time and was careful during disassembly and reassembly.

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey john. I recently came up on your forum about the aftermarket Radio install. I just finished mine. I came across the same issue with the back up camera but Crutchfield told me how to do it. I Will soon tackle That issue. Another issue I have is the loudness of the turn signal. Are you getting the same issue? I tried turning it completely down and it's still loud.

Josacal6 - any update on the back-up camera integration?

joaquin ortega

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@JohnC12 Hi, I also have the same problem as you the only thing is that I try to change the radio using the OEM parts of a LTZ, I got the big display, Radio, HMI, dashboard harness, Amplifier and the amplifier harness, I life in Dominican Republic and after trowing away +7,500 USD in parts, S&H and customs, I'm at the same point that were I start, installing again the small radio, and removing all the parts I already purchase.

As I just read this forum less than a week ago, I order all the parts that I found useful in all your post, but before start all over again I just want to confirm if you could integrated the image of the back-up camera.

Thanks,

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JohnC12 Hi, I also have the same problem as you the only thing is that I try to change the radio using the OEM parts of a LTZ, I got the big display, Radio, HMI, dashboard harness, Amplifier and the amplifier harness, I life in Dominican Republic and after trowing away +7,500 USD in parts, S&H and customs, I'm at the same point that were I start, installing again the small radio, and removing all the parts I already purchase.

As I just read this forum less than a week ago, I order all the parts that I found useful in all your post, but before start all over again I just want to confirm if you could integrated the image of the back-up camera.

Thanks,

Hello Joaquin! Man oh man... I'm really sorry to hear about all your troubles!

No, I never could establish a connection with the OEM back up camera. I finally installed an aftermarket right next to the OEM camera.

As you probably saw from a post by Josacal6, he indicates that he was able to accomplish the connection with the OEM - though he never responded to my subsequent posts with exactly how this was done. I ordered all of my equipment from Crutchfield, and as of my install date, they had no clue how to tap into the OEM, so I'm still a little skeptical.

joaquin ortega

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Joaquin! Man oh man... I'm really sorry to hear about all your troubles!

No, I never could establish a connection with the OEM back up camera. I finally installed an aftermarket right next to the OEM camera.

As you probably saw from a post by @josacal6, he indicates that he was able to accomplish the connection with the OEM - though he never responded to my subsequent posts with exactly how this was done. I ordered all of my equipment from Crutchfield, and as of my install date, they had no clue how to tap into the OEM, so I'm still a little skeptical.

Thanks, @JohnC12, as Im going to start the change to the aftermarket radio, I saw in some of the past post that you attach some pictures, wheel controler cables, etc, etc., however I cant see the pictures will it be to much to ask If you can post it again or send it by email ([email protected]), so I can do it with out a trouble, because I had a lot of them in this process. Scosche recommend this adapter http://www.scosche.com/crtgm01 for the back-up camera, When I begin Ill try to see if I can pull it trough.

thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins