Aftermarket Radio Installation - 2015 Tahoe LS with IO3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those interested, here's the How-To Guide.

After much thought, debate and research, I decided to upgrade my 4.2" IO3 radio with an aftermarket Pioneer AVH-4100NEX DVD receiver.

I initially wanted to upgrade my 4.2" with the factory 8" MyLink, but after the dreaded inspection of that little sticker in my glove box, I have an IO3 radio. For those of us with the IO3, we know there are very few options (at this moment) to upgrade - even upgrading to an aftermarket radio was not easy.

Considering the lack of information found on the internet, I have decided to document the entire process with pictures. I'll post the entire process, but here's a little bit of information and pictures.

Equipment Purchased:
Pioneer AVH-4100NEX receiver
Axxess AX-LCD Interface
Axxess GMOS-LAN-09 Interface
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Adapter
Metra 99-3015G Dash Kit
Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
Metra AX-USB-MiniB USB Adapter
RCA male adapter
Misc wiring accessories (connectors, heat shrink tubing, etc)

The entire process took approximately 8 hours - this includes the pre-wiring of the interface modules, the dashboard dis-assembly, install and reassembly.

I still have two unaccounted for items - 1) the steering wheel controls do not work, and 2) the back-up cam is not functioning.

1) I cannot find the GREEN/BLACK SWC wire under the dash. The instructions provided my Axxess are for the 2014 Sierra and doesn't come close to resembling the 2015 Tahoe. Since I purchased my equipment from Crutchfield, they're researching the location of the appropriate wire.

2) I've located the GRAY/YELLOW and WHITE/BLUE signal wires coming from the back-up camera, but have been unsuccessful in obtaining a signal. I'm going back to the drawing board on this one.

Here are some pictures:

Before
DSC_0003.JPG

After
IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

Complete installation pictures coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Hope you can figure everything out and get a clean install. I'm sure there will be a ton of other people doing this as well!

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks NathanJax!

Here's an update.

After working with Crutchfield and doing a bit of research on my own, I was able to locate the appropriate GREEN/BLACK wire to connect the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Adapter. My steering wheel controls are now working great!

The wire is located in the steering column, not under the dash as specified by the Axxess directions. (The directions are for a 2014 Sierra.) There just so happens to be a GREEN/BLACK wire running from the steering column down to a plug further down the column - this IS NOT the correct wire.

First, I removed the trim panel on the outer driver's edge of dash. Use a pry tool to pop the clips. (Note that the furthest back are hinge clips, so the panel needs to be popped free and then pulled straight towards you.

IMG_2440.JPG

Next, I removed the trim panel below the steering column. I removed the hood release latch from the panel in an effort to provide plenty of space to solder my connection.

IMG_2441.JPG

I then removed the top and bottom portion of the steering column cover. I used a plastic trim tool to pry apart the two halves. There are no screws to remove. To remove the steering wheel tilt lever, grab onto it and give it a good tug - it will pop out - no tools required. (Did I mention to give it a GOOD tug?)

IMG_2490.JPG

On the bottom portion of the upper steering column, there's an 8 wire black plug that connects to the steering column ring. This is where you'll find the appropriate GREEN/BLACK wire.

2015TahoeLS_SWC.jpg

2015TahoeLS_SWC4.jpg

2015TahoeLS_SWC3.jpg

I removed some insulation and soldered the GREEN/BLACK wire coming from the ASWC-1 module.

2015TahoeLS_SWC2.jpg

I turned the radio on, pressed the UP VOLUME button on the back of the steering wheel and the radio immediately picked-up the ASWC-1 module.

I buttoned everything up and reassembled the truck and everything is working great now.

On a side note - there is a specific channel to run the wires through, as shown, below. I used wire ties to secure the wires to the block. If you don't rerun your wires back into this channel, the bottom portion of your steering wheel column cover WILL NOT go back on. I learned this after several attempts.

IMG_2495a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other update:

I absolutely can't stand the empty pocket in the Metra 99-3015G dash kit. (I installed the Axxess AX-LCD Interface in the center console.) It's barely big enough to hold a pen and will likely be a great dust collector.

IMG_2486.JPG

I just purchased the SCOSHCE GM5214SB dash kit which gives a much cleaner look.

SCOSCHE.jpg

51OE4k73LXL._SL1032_.jpg

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
John,

I, too, am interested in upgrading from the hideous 4.2 inch screen to a larger screen. The Pioneer receiver is a good aftermarket option. Did you get the back-up cam to work? What was the total cost of the upgrade including the SCOSHCE GM5214SB dash kit?

Thx,
Khurshid

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Khurshid! All in, including the SCOSHCE dash kit, I'm at $1,200. With the exception of the SCOSHCE kit, I ordered my components through Crutchfield so I could get their technical support, so I paid a bit more than if I had purchased the same components from another source, like Amazon.

As for the back-up camera, it's still not working. I located the positive and negative signal wires, tapped into them with an RCA plug, but get nothing when I place the Tahoe in reverse. I plugged up my SLR camera and it worked fine, so I know it's not the radio head or the reverse signal wire. At this point, I'm planning on installing a flush mount aftermarket cam into the trunk lid on the opposite side of the OEM cam.

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks John. It makes sense to pay a bit more for technical support.

Does this mean that the OEM back-up camera is not compatible with the aftermarket Pioneer receiver? Is an aftermarket back-up cam our only option? I would really like to use the OEM cam if possible. What does Crutchfield have to say about the OEM cam not working?

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the research I've done online, the OEM back-up camera should work by simply tapping into the positive and negative terminals coming from the camera. In full disclosure, I'm just a weekend warrior and know very little about how (electrical in general) these cameras work. Maybe someone else here knows more about this subject.

I don't believe the back-up camera not working has anything to do with the Pioneer receiver - I think I'm doing something wrong - I'm missing something.

If you take a look at these instructions from Alpine, under Mounting The Stereo Continued #3, you'll see that they say to simply tap into the positive and negative signal wires. This sounds to me like I'd simply connect the positive lead on the positive side of the RCA and the negative lead onto the negative side of the RCA connector. When doing so, I get nothing but a blank screen when I place the car in reverse. It's certainly switching over to the back-up camera mode for the radio, but I'm not getting a signal from the camera to the receiver.

As for Crutchfield, they won't provide support for the camera since it has nothing to do with any of their equipment they sold. To be honest, I never expected them to have any knowledge about the camera integration - I talked to them about this early off in my conversations and they told me there are no options (available on the market) to make the OEM camera work with any installation.

For those with the IO4 or above, METRA sells a connector so you can tap into OEM camera. It just doesn't work with the IO3 radio.

A few weeks ago, I contacted Cam (GM Technician) over at Just Answer and asked about the back-up camera integration. He states that the following:

Expert: GM Tech (Cam) replied 17 days ago.
The operating power for the rear camera is supplied by the trailer back up lamp relay which also supplies the inside rear view camera through the green wire with a white stripe. This is when the transmission is in reverse. The ignition power comes on a violet green wire through fuse 63 in the left dash fuse block. Ground is on G325. I think it you use the following 2, it may work. Signal to the radio is on X1 Pin 5 and is Grey Yellow (+) , and the (-) is Pin 4 and is white with a blue tracer.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/9f02w-chevrolet-tahoe-4x2-ls-2015-tahoe-ls.html#ixzz3tv3y4Ci8

Last edited:

Khurshid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great. So the OEM back-up integration is possible? It's a trial and error I suppose. In any case, let me know if you are able to figure it out.

What about bluetooth? Any issues pairing your phone or making hands-free calls?

OP
OP
JohnC12

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I believe the integration is possible, it's just a matter of figuring it out. I'll certainly update this thread as I learn more.

The bluetooth is EXCELLENT and there are no issues pairing my iPhone 6 - it's an instant connection upon start-up. I've been told by everyone I've talked to that the sound quality is significantly better than the OEM system. (Most people I talked to on the OEM system said I sounded like I was in a tunnel or wet paper bag. Back in June, I had the mic replaced by Chevrolet, but saw no improvements.)

I'm also really enjoying Apple CarPlay - it's great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods