Aftermarket head unit swap in your PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my factory radio decided to act up, so I had no choice but to order something. The OEM kept switching between Aux/Tuner on its own, very frustrating......but if you punch the trim around the right side of the head unit, it would clear up for at least 5-10 minutes.

Ordered the Alpine iLX-W650, nothing fancy at all. Also ordered the installation kit with SWC that @RooTBeeRthe1st found on Amazon.

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
I had an older aftermarket head unit with nav laying around. It was pretty inexpensive to have installed at a local audio shop. No fancy steering wheel controls here.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Crutchfield for my stereo upgrades. I know they are a bit more expensive, however you can get everything you need in one box. Or. Get all the information from their online ordering form and source the parts from there.

As far as I know the PPV’s & SSV’s do not have Onstar, Bluetooth, Navigation.

Paul

Posted purposely in this sub-forum

Have any of you guys installed an aftermarket head unit into your PPV or SSV? I searched, all I can find in the last thread was @Ron C and his OEM/Nav swap. Not interested in that, specifically looking for a unit with internal BT and AndroidAuto, but more importantly looking to see what route you guys went with adapter harnesses, etc.

I think its safe to assume that no PPV came with Bose or Nav. Besides the antenna adapter, the only thing really needed to retain are the door chimes and in my case, steering wheel controls (I swapped wheels). Just seeing if anyone had any input on what they have used, if they were happy, or what route they would take if they had to do it all over again.

TIA

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after about a year and a half, something fried(smelled for a few weeks). Back up camera doesn't want to work anymore and now air bag light is on(lost connection with radio).
So I'm going to add steering wheel buttons and looking at the maestro you guys were talking about.
I found the buttons fine, but have trouble finding the harness inside the wheel.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have lot of different challenges going on. Does your stereo head unit not work anymore? You mentioned the backup camera isn’t working. Don’t know about the burning smell and airbag light. I do know our PPVs have a ton of wires just laying around after they decommission them.

Yes, the iDatalink Maestros and GM5+ Kit works amazing.

When it comes to adding the audio controllers to the right hand side of the wheel, you have two options. 1. Buy a new steering wheel with the the added audio controllers installed. 2. Buy the audio controller for the steering wheel, cut the steering wheel along with changing the harness. Option 1 is more expensive (about $200), but you will never regret that option for ease and better looks.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.
Finally got around to looking into the issue.
Happy that I diagnosed it properly before even looking into anything. Haha
So the "cheap" Amazon box I bought is what fried.

Already have a grant leather steering wheel.
Have steering wheel radio buttons and wiring harness on their way.
And also the Maestro RR2 and GM adapter heading here.
Just going to do it all at once.

Backup camera only wasn't working because of the controller box.
I actually have it switched so I can turn it on and use the radio to look at the trailer behind me while I'm going down the road without being in reverse... It's a three pole, so I've just left the switch in the off position since I had that issue.

Once all the parts come in, I should only have a couple hours worth of work.

IMG_20201206_103618015.jpg

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threw on the new leather Grant steering wheel, added the radio control buttons, hooked up the maestro rr2, and added dic buttons.

Can't believe I didn't do this right after I bought it. I wish I knew how easy it would have been. This is all the stuff I've wanted from the vehicle since I got it.

IMG_20201207_221414443.jpg IMG_20201210_211231908.jpg IMG_20201210_211243434.jpg IMG_20201210_214516826.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt