Aftermarket flip down monitor DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yar786

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Has anyone added an aftermarket flipdown tv in a 2019 Yukon denali xl without sunroof? What brand and size did you install? I don't need DVD just HDMI in, USB, wireless headphones or FM radio connection. I might add more inputs later like PS4. I'm looking more for how you ran the wires, location of mounting, how to remove the 2nd row dome light without breaking the clips, any special instructions , tips you guys have. Any pictures of what's under the headliner would be really helpful. TIA!

Background: I just bought a 2019 Yukon denali xl without sunroof. Originally thought I'd just add headrest monitors like tablets but I forgot criminals have been going around my area smash and grabbing when they see anything of value.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your '19 Yukon Denali XL have a rear seat entertainment package with ceiling mounted monitors now? I thought this feature was almost standard on all '15-'20 Yukon Denali's?

If so are you just looking to upgrade the screen size?

OP
OP
Y

Yar786

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does your '19 Yukon Denali XL have a rear seat entertainment package with ceiling mounted monitors now? I thought this feature was almost standard on all '15-'20 Yukon Denali's?

If so are you just looking to upgrade the screen size?

No, it did not come with any rear entertainment system. You would think but it comes with the sunroof package which mine does not have either. I don't like the tiny screens on the stock system anyway and the DVD functions IMO are obsolete or at least they are with my kids. I just wanted something I can use with Chromecast, USB drive, and HDMI in. I was looking to hear what everyone's opinion is on the screen size as I suspect any screen will block the rear view mirror so might as well go larger.

I would also consider putting some monitors in my headrest but don't know what to expect in these vehicles unless someone has a diy write up. Pretty much looking to see if anyone has added aftermarket headrest or flip down without existing rear entertainment and how they did it.

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably better off not messing with it. Easier to turn on the gm wifi and hand em a tablet or phone which can be removed or hidden without altering the truck. Our last RES still had the screen plastic on it when we traded it in after 2 years; times they are a changin...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MechEng813

Reaction score
I installed headrest screens after getting annoyed at how visually obstructive the flip-down unit was.

Installation isn't horrible.
Seat-backs panels come off easily, but honestly with a metal fish tape you could do it while leaving everything in place.

The biggest pain in the nuts was finding/making the right size bushing to fit the holes in the seats. Because they are definitely not the same diameter as the rods coming out of the aftermarket headrests.
Without it, the headrests would just rattle within the seat.
Eventually I just drew them in CAD and 3D printed them.

For my setup I wanted simple automation.

My son at the time was too young to work the remote, so the whole thing needed to launch every time the truck was started.

Picked up a pair of plain LCDs. No dvd or SD memory slot.
Just had to make sure they powered on automatically and went right to the video source.
First few models I tried required someone to physically press of the On button after applying power... every .. single time.

Then used a Western Digital WDTV unit as the source.
The right model had firmware that would enable auto-play from a USB drive on boot-up.
All I had to do was add/remove and reorder the files as needed

Concealed the wiring by home-running everything within the rear cavity of the center console.
The WDTV is exposed in that little pocket below the AC controls.

AV output on the WDTV is basic analog in a 3.5mm jack, so I just split it and routed it to each screen.
Audio is transmitted out of the screens via iR to the headphones.

Added a toggle switch inline to kill power to just the screens.
Good for when he fell asleep and needed to dim the glare, or when driving adults who didn't feel like watching Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park on repeat.

Whole system works perfectly every time.
It didn't bookmark where in the movie you left off when shutting it down.
And I never got around to coding a way to randomize the playlist of files.

Now my son is more interested in the iPad anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep