Aftermarket bluetooth suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joel Ragan Young

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 15 years in automotive electronics aftermarket, but I still allowed the tech at Best Buy to do the free installation of the dbl DIN Pioneer head unit and front separate speakers in my '05. Now I have full bluetooth, awesome sound and a back up camera. Like others have mentioned, you must purchase additional interface gear to delete the Bose circuitry and retain steering wheel controls. Free, warranted installation is extremely valuable if you don't DIY.

I now use voice activated calling, too. As a bonus, many retailers have generous credit available. For example, same as cash that extends out far enough to make payments manageable and painless. I am extremely pleased with my modern audio and communication electronics in my classic truck.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put what will it attach the phone to?
From the aux jack to the right of the radio to the headphone jack on your phone or using a headphone to lightning cord adapter if your phone doesn't have one. (I am assuming you have an iPhone.)

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the aux jack to the right of the radio to the headphone jack on your phone or using a headphone to lightning cord adapter if your phone doesn't have one. (I am assuming you have an iPhone.)

No aux jack by stereo. Only sockets and a headphone jack for middle console radio for 2nd seat (behind me, so not sure how that would work and not sure if headphone jack same)

I really don't mess with this stuff much at all, a bit of a luddite lol. Not opposed so much, just my whole philosophy is less is more, minimalist mentality. I like quality and reliability, not the latest and greatest. Means I don't stay up to speed unless I need it. Have ability and all that, but do I WANT to take the time to do more research on the different type of devices?

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's inexpensive, and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.:thumbsup:

For the price, I may try it, (first time I space and leave it in and if drains battery, not gonna work!). I still don't understand the difference between FM and Bluetooth. Why can't socket units have Bluetooth and rely on FM? Dumbed down science lesson, anyone?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FM is to work with the radio. You'll tune the radio to hear the unit and connect your phone to the unit via Bluetooth. If your car is newer than 1960 and has a radio it will work.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not opposed so much, just my whole philosophy is less is more, minimalist mentality. I like quality and reliability, not the latest and greatest. Means I don't stay up to speed unless I need it.

I am with you on this. K.I.S.S.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

here is a pic of mine

7E91CCA8-59E6-4EB9-A6D6-56772F031143.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off, On, cable routed behind bezel to magnet mount.

F71337B8-C2FF-441E-9799-690E3C45695F.jpeg 8D7B3098-4CC3-4FF2-B02F-CC22FE119C4C.jpeg BD76B710-BAE9-4AEB-9481-7E9D3DAE3229.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FM is to work with the radio. You'll tune the radio to hear the unit and connect your phone to the unit via Bluetooth. If your car is newer than 1960 and has a radio it will work.

So how did the old school bluetooth earpieces work? They weren't hooked up to my stereo....why can't I get something that is similar to the earpiece, but plugged in to the socket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins