After sitting my 04 Yukon starts and dies right away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eqDude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_20230506_114123087.jpgso I like my old Yukon but I don't use it much. It's sat long enough for the battery to go stone dead (it has a phantom power drain somewhere) I charged it up and now it will start right up and then die right away. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

... Water on the ground is not from the Yukon....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 398506so I like my old Yukon but I don't use it much. It's sat long enough for the battery to go stone dead (it has a phantom power drain somewhere) I charged it up and now it will start right up and then die right away. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

starts and dies how quickly?
is the security light flashing?
verified fuel pressure?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Normally the battery will be too low to start if you leave it without use in two to three weeks. After what @Doubeleive noted (and if those check out), have the battery load tested.

Will it run if another running vehicle is connected as in a jump start, but left connected?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 398506so I like my old Yukon but I don't use it much. It's sat long enough for the battery to go stone dead (it has a phantom power drain somewhere) I charged it up and now it will start right up and then die right away. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

It is possible that if it was dead too long, the security memory was lost. Had this happen to a 2002 Silverado at work.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a key question is here is how long is 'long enough'? A few hours? A few days? A few weeks?

I sometimes don't drive any one vehicle for weeks or months. I don't think I've driven my Taurus since sometime in March. Now that I've been playing with the Tahoe, it may sit for a few weeks while I run the wagon. As a result, I keep both vehicles on battery tenders in the garage.