After changing alternator bad shudder when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kade Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After I changed my alternator on my 2003 GMC Yukon XL I have a shudder when accelerating could it be I need a new tensioner for the serpentine belt or another pulley is bad or even a new belt?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Take the belt off and drive it a short distance and see if shudder is gone. If it is then the shudder is related to the belt, the tensioner or an idler. While the belt is off, check the pulleys for any play in any direction you wiggle them. Very very slight play is ok, like about 1/32" or slightly more, but if more then is bad even if not causing the shudder. Turn them in your hand and see if feel any roughness. You should feel none. If all that checks out then the tensioner could be the problem. The old tensioner has sat in one spot for many miles and now when tension is released to remove belt, the spring may have given up. I am assuming you had no shudder before the alternator change. How do you feel the shudder? Floorboard at your feet? Seat of the paints? Accelerating? Just at idle? Steering wheel? through the body of the vehicle?

OP
OP
K

Kade Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you yeah I had no shudder before and the shudder feel on acceleration and at idle it will shudder a tiny bit like every 5 seconds Thank you appreciate the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shawn7253