After all that work...probably getting rid of the Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
He doesn't want to sell it. He has a personal pride moment every time someone asks him how many miles it has on it (302,000 now).
I wish you would have given the information from #18 in your original post. Everyone here was responding from a different point of view. Knowing he is a responsible young man just trying to figure the best way forward really helps fill out the story.

That said, if he is moving closer to work why introduce a car payment when the fuel costs will go down when the travel is reduced?

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a responsibility issue or anything else. He is waiting to get an apartment in the other city because we need him taking care of the farm for a few weeks this summer while we move our daughter in to college. What you thought you read in this post was not it. He could also pay cash for damn near any car he wants but he would rather save that money for a down payment on a house when he is ready. He spends money like every dollar out of his pocket comes with a knife to the gut.
Sounds like he is doing pretty well then and has a good sense to him...

Just break it down to the brass tacks... For the money he would pay for another car, it would take probably 10 to 15 years in fuel saving to pay for that newer vehicle...

Most folks I know who are very well off, drive older vehicles, and have more fun living and toy cars or trucks than wasting money on daily driver car notes or huge deprecation to impress people you don't know.

Whatever makes him happy and he can do it while he has the time in his life to do so, then so be it. That's very respectable he is handling the farm in this instance.

Personally If I were young, Id rock what he has for another year or 2, stockpile the cash for down payment on a house and then think about vehicle change.

Sounds like you raised a good kid and sorry for my response seeming a bit harsh, but that is how I am most of the time, harsh and to the point..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My son is driving an hour each way for work every day and is getting tired of filling up every other day. The dilemma is to keep the Yukon and let him buy a new car or let him sell it to help him buy new.

I just replaced all the shocks and springs, new brakes all around, new radiator, new water pump, rear main seal, pinion seal and yoke, changed out all fluids except transmission...dammit.
Yes, while I did not take it the same as others here may have, this sure sounds like you are mad at the son after all the work on the rig and now he is wanting something different/newer. If he can buy a new vehicle when he wants, like you just said, then why the statement about a dilemma whether to keep the Yukon or buy a new car with the HELP of selling the Yukon to help him buy new. The complete story that is eventually shared is a whole new scenario. We see this all the time when someone asks about problems on their rigs and then after 100 questions we finally get the whole story on post 20 or so.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you would have given the information from #18 in your original post. Everyone here was responding from a different point of view. Knowing he is a responsible young man just trying to figure the best way forward really helps fill out the story.

That said, if he is moving closer to work why introduce a car payment when the fuel costs will go down when the travel is reduced?
I think we decided over the weekend to keep it. He also found a company offering a gas card that for the first 90 days (about how long he will live at home) gives 40 cents back for every gallon you purchase.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, while I did not take it the same as others here may have, this sure sounds like you are mad at the son after all the work on the rig and now he is wanting something different/newer. If he can buy a new vehicle when he wants, like you just said, then why the statement about a dilemma whether to keep the Yukon or buy a new car with the HELP of selling the Yukon to help him buy new. The complete story that is eventually shared is a whole new scenario. We see this all the time when someone asks about problems on their rigs and then after 100 questions we finally get the whole story on post 20 or so.
Sorry. The dammit was more because we had finally fixed everything on the truck. Not because I was mad at him.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After driving a rig with 300k+ miles on it, the mpg should not have been a surprise.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry. The dammit was more because we had finally fixed everything on the truck. Not because I was mad at him.
This statement contributed greatly to the responses that you received.

Typing the words is never as clear as speaking them in person. I hate that.

Plus, so many "kids" act and are so spoiled now days that there are assumptions made as well. I do hate assuming too.

OP
OP
S

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he is doing pretty well then and has a good sense to him...

Just break it down to the brass tacks... For the money he would pay for another car, it would take probably 10 to 15 years in fuel saving to pay for that newer vehicle...

Most folks I know who are very well off, drive older vehicles, and have more fun living and toy cars or trucks than wasting money on daily driver car notes or huge deprecation to impress people you don't know.

Whatever makes him happy and he can do it while he has the time in his life to do so, then so be it. That's very respectable he is handling the farm in this instance.

Personally If I were young, Id rock what he has for another year or 2, stockpile the cash for down payment on a house and then think about vehicle change.

Sounds like you raised a good kid and sorry for my response seeming a bit harsh, but that is how I am most of the time, harsh and to the point..
No worries. We fall in line with your thinking. Son's car, 302,000. Wife's car, 165,000. Daughter's car, 130,000. Cars are not a big thing to us. They are nice cars but we drive them until the wheels fall off.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"He spends money like every dollar out of his pocket comes with a knife to the gut."

This statement alone says volumes about this kid. I mean this in a very positive way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore