AFM Hybrid...Another one bites the dust? 103K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

This guy will tune afm from the computer for $50. This website has some good info too.
I can disable the AFM anytime I want by shifting it into M4 gear the problem is I lose the SODG without the SODG (Sun Over drive Gear) I lose fuel economy :S by a lot i only get 18.5/18.5 with M4

other wise i would get 20/25

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a cam swap in my Denali in the past few months, and the thread should still be fairly near the top. There are also some videos of what my cam sounded like with a failing lifter. It might offer you some good guidance.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started it uptoday and "everything was fine"

I put some Hyperlube after starting it(after like 10 seconds from a cold start), it did not have the noises it was doing last time after the initial start.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update the VVT seems to be working correctly, noted by checking live data....... it showed an advancement of 39 degrees at 1500rpm in v8 mode... This means the Gas station is not ripping me off with 89 octane in the 91 pump...

I put about 5-6oz of the hyperlube as i don't want to overfill the crankcase

it's like 15w30 weight.. (just guessing)

Last edited:

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure he is saying his truck is a Hybrid as in electric, as well as the dod/afm based engine.

You can not remove dod from a hybrid, there is zero option to do so, the control system on a hybrid is so advanced, tuning companies don't even bother attempting to offer the ability to tune one, because nobody would know what to do with it. If you have a hybrid suv/truck, and your dod lifter fails, you need to repair the DOD system, no other options.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure he is saying his truck is a Hybrid as in electric, as well as the dod/afm based engine.

You can not remove dod from a hybrid, there is zero option to do so, the control system on a hybrid is so advanced, tuning companies don't even bother attempting to offer the ability to tune one, because nobody would know what to do with it. If you have a hybrid suv/truck, and your dod lifter fails, you need to repair the DOD system, no other options.
the ECM is encrypted

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ECM is encrypted

They are all encrypted until someone unlocks it. I wanted to delete a hybrid a few years ago, and hptuners said even if they offered support, the best tuners in the world wouldnt know how to tune it. There are like 5 different computers that all talk to each other to blend the electric function in with the engine function.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all encrypted until someone unlocks it. I wanted to delete a hybrid a few years ago, and hptuners said even if they offered support, the best tuners in the world wouldnt know how to tune it. There are like 5 different computers that all talk to each other to blend the electric function in with the engine function.

I know this is an older thread, but hptuners will disable afm in a hybrid. it's been done in their forums. the ecm is unlocked but very few things defined. dod works, it's just labeled backwards. enable to disable lol. they have speed limiter and gear ratio defined. not sure if they work thou, but they don't usually define things that don't work at all.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but hptuners will disable afm in a hybrid. it's been done in their forums. the ecm is unlocked but very few things defined. dod works, it's just labeled backwards. enable to disable lol. they have speed limiter and gear ratio defined. not sure if they work thou, but they don't usually define things that don't work at all.
Good to know thanks!! I have done a couple lifter replacements without deleting on the hybrids in the past because I couldn't even read the ecm, and hp tuners said they had no plans of support for the hybrid.

Glad you chimed in!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17