AFM/DFM Delete Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01dailey

Reaction score
Just wondering what GM's attitude is towards an AFM/DFM Delete ? When a new engine under warranty fails due to collapsed lifters, GM instructs the dealer to replace the effected bank only. This is unsatisfactory. Would GM entertain the idea of a complete DFM Delete if the customer requested it and the customer was willing to cover the cost difference ? I understand the delete requires changing the lifters, cam shaft, solenoid plate, and oil pump.

This may seem extreme since the engine would be repaired free under warranty, but it's my understanding there is no real fix for these AFM/DFM lifters. They are being replaced with an identical lifter and are still prone to failure. I would love to have a conventional V8 engine, even if I sacrifice 1-MPG by removing the DFM.

jimgeb

Reaction score
Can't believe they would provide that option.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain conditions have to be met for the dealer to replace both banks of AFM lifters. I don't recall what they are. GM will not modify a vehicle outside of its original design specifications, they will not delete AFM.

Do it on your own and don't be held hostage by a warranty.

Are the new "identical" lifters the same part number as those installed at the factory?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the internals in these lifters I suspect it's a design flaw rather than an occasional part failure. Sure no expert but I wonder if it would be possible to just replace with standard lifters and run it? And does the AFM delete plug in module leave a history in the engine control module? I'd like to eliminate this potential problem myself.

OP
OP

01dailey

Reaction score
Certain conditions have to be met for the dealer to replace both banks of AFM lifters. I don't recall what they are. GM will not modify a vehicle outside of its original design specifications, they will not delete AFM.

Do it on your own and don't be held hostage by a warranty.

Are the new "identical" lifters the same part number as those installed at the factory?
According to one source, the replacement lifters have the same part number as the factory original. Also, you can't simply swap to standard lifters. It requires a different cam shaft. Also need to change the oil pump to the lower pressure one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to one source, the replacement lifters have the same part number as the factory original. Also, you can't simply swap to standard lifters. It requires a different cam shaft. Also need to change the oil pump to the lower pressure one.
Yeah, but if you don't want it, then delete it. Reckon if I were to do it to one of these new ones, I would want to know whether BlackBear can turn AFM off in the tune yet before I got started.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP your suggestion would be great if GM offered that as an option. But sadly GM will never even consider it. They will only repair vehicles and put them back to their OEM standards.

As @swathdiver stated. If you want it deleted then just start doing your research and collecting the parts to do it and get it done.

I am not sure what the tune options are for the ‘21+ models. But definitely look into that and confirm it’s doable before you go too far down the rabbit hole.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the tune options are for the ‘21+ models. But definitely look into that and confirm it’s doable before you go too far down the rabbit hole.
Not yet doable. To the best of my knowledge, none of the tuners have the ability yet to defeat the encryption on the ECM to alter the parameters needed to shut off AFM and retune for a different cam.

And I expect that it will be a while before they can, if ever. Manufacturers are getting their feet held to the fire with environmental regs which is causing them to take steps to prevent owners from changing any of the parameters of operation from factory specs. In some states such as California, you will fail an emission test without either the factory tune in place, or one that's been certified as CARB-compliant.

I performed a mechanical AFM delete with a bigger cam and a custom Blackbear tune in my 2012. I can afford a new one, but won't buy one until there is a way to take out the DFM system physically and retune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24