Afm delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevinf89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys question about afm delete do you reuse pushrods? If not how do you check length? Is it like checking on a sbc install checker zero lash (up and down) tighten to spec 22 ft lbs and make sure rocker is center of valve stem?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys question about afm delete do you reuse pushrods? If not how do you check length? Is it like checking on a sbc install checker zero lash (up and down) tighten to spec 22 ft lbs and make sure rocker is center of valve stem?
don't cut corners

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most aftermarket cams are designed to use stock pushrods or the common 7.4" LS rods. Stock is 7.380" and that .020" difference is negligible with the wide range of preload the stock lifters can operate in. If yours are straight, you can use them if your cam is spec'ed to use stock rods. To be sure and to have actual numbers, you can get a push rod length checker for about $25. Checking length on an LS engine isn't as easy as finding zero lash and then X amount of torque. There are a couple of ways to do it and there are always arguments that one way is better than the other and the other way is overcomplicating it, etc. Rather than adhere to one way, I used both common methods of measuring with a checker and with counting turns of the rocker bolt as a checks-and-balances way to ensure I had the correct length and valid measuring results. I also confirmed the length by checking the wipe pattern on the tip of the valve stem.

Here's the "bolt turn" method:

Here's the "length checker" method:

I also did this to one of my original lifters to make it a solid lifter for the measuring process:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my last cam swap I checked with the cam’s manufacturer (Cam Motion), and they said I needed 7.400 pushrods, so I was able to reuse the chromoly ones I’d bought 8000 miles earlier from Brian Tooley Racing. Then I used the comp cams adjustable pushrod to measure the lash and preload for each intake and exhaust valve/lifter/pushrod combination installed, and all were within spec for the Chevrolet Performance lifters I used.

Joeltz

Reaction score
Kevin- had mine Done… Texas speed cam,& delete Kit LS7 lifters

done under the Hood Would have liked to watch … sliding the cam out

you have to TUNE the computer on a Dyno run Same timing chain, same pushrods
Got 4000 miles since the Swap seeing 24 mpg @ 67
It “ Drives Out” thru the Gears…… as A Chevy Should

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu