AFM delete kit questions....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an '07 Yukon with the second in a series of AFM lifter issues....dammmit.

Anyway, I have decided this time I'll remove all of the AFM stuff and go with a new cam and lifter setup. I am looking at the following kit from AMS Racing:

https://www.amsracing.net/collectio...te-kit-camshaft-lifters-gaskets-with-oil-pump

It includes everything I need, I think:

-GM brand non-AFM/DOD (with VVT or without VVT) Camshaft
-16 non-AFM/DOD lifters w/ plastic trays
-Melling M295 oil pump
-Complete head gasket set w/ MLS head gaskets
-complete head bolt set
-Front timing cover gasket set
-GM brand non-AFM/DOD valley plate
-GM brand crankshaft bolt

I have read reviews online and mostly they are positive....this is the most complete kit I could find with a new oil pump.

They will also re-program the computer for $75...this kit is $625...so, it's right at $700, plus things like oil, filter, coolant, etc.

Has anyone used this kit or another kit from AMS Racing? Any other suggestions???

Thanks in advance....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Yukon with the second in a series of AFM lifter issues....dammmit.

Anyway, I have decided this time I'll remove all of the AFM stuff and go with a new cam and lifter setup. I am looking at the following kit from AMS Racing:

https://www.amsracing.net/collectio...te-kit-camshaft-lifters-gaskets-with-oil-pump

It includes everything I need, I think:

-GM brand non-AFM/DOD (with VVT or without VVT) Camshaft
-16 non-AFM/DOD lifters w/ plastic trays
-Melling M295 oil pump
-Complete head gasket set w/ MLS head gaskets
-complete head bolt set
-Front timing cover gasket set
-GM brand non-AFM/DOD valley plate
-GM brand crankshaft bolt

I have read reviews online and mostly they are positive....this is the most complete kit I could find with a new oil pump.

They will also re-program the computer for $75...this kit is $625...so, it's right at $700, plus things like oil, filter, coolant, etc.

Has anyone used this kit or another kit from AMS Racing? Any other suggestions???

Thanks in advance....

Those look to be all factory parts (doesn't specify on the lifters or head bolts). So, to answer your question, pretty much every non-AFM 3rd and 4th gen LS engine ever produced used that "kit". I'd say a few million reliably-running LS engine's is plenty of positive feedback. The only real "chance" in this is an error with the labor, and even that shouldn't be any real risk because it's just swapping factory parts for factory parts- no special modding or machining. Chances are that the cam is a standard Gen3 5.3 cam, as this is a popular direct-replacement stock cam for this procedure.

OP
OP
davidzog

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are, I think, correct....looks like mostly GM parts, Melling oil pump, and gaskets and bolts from ?????

Just wanted to get a few opinions before I took the plunge...thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are, I think, correct....looks like mostly GM parts, Melling oil pump, and gaskets and bolts from ?????

Just wanted to get a few opinions before I took the plunge...thanks

Melling was/is OEM for GM :thumbsup:

Also, GM MLS gaskets are known to be among the best so you can't go wrong there. They may not be AC Delco brand, but you should still be fine. Bolts should be fine as well as long as they are new, even if "just" "OEM equivalent". A reputable speed shop isn't gonna put together a kit that fails them or their customers.

So, no opinions on the actual kit, but I'd feel totally safe having what would essentially be a Gen3 under the hood. You doing the work?

OP
OP
davidzog

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep, I will be doing all the work myself, with some help from my son. I expect to take two to three days start to finish, but it will probably go longer....it always does...hahaha

thanks

OP
OP
davidzog

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I received the AFM delete kit from AMS Racing yesterday. Everything looks pretty good. I also ordered a M295 Melling oil pump from Amazon (cheapest at $59). I intend to swap out the timing chain and gears but I won't know what parts to get until I tear it down, as there are different tensioners used on different models....ugh.

I also had the computer reprogrammed by AMS racing for $76....I shipped it to them on Saturday, and received it back on Thursday....great service.

I was going to start on it but the temperature was 39 degrees this morning....my wife said just wait until spring?!?!?! Hoping for some warm weather...wish I had started this in August!! How dumb was that?????

scottierass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where do you live? No garage you can rent from a buddy for a few weeks or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts