AFM Delete Double Checking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been rewatching a lot of videos on the AFM delete, mainly focusing on the end of the project and the first start of the motor.

It seems that my OCD is getting the best of me, from what I see these projects in general are pretty forgiving and I don't need to be as strict or white glove as I thought. I just need to tell myself that the quality of the work I am doing is good and I am educating myself well enough to finish the job. I see videos of people skipping steps or not torqueing properly and in the end their motor starts and runs just fine even though they didn't do a bunch of prep in priming the motor.

I think I am going to be ok! This weekend I am going to start my engine.

I plan on pouring 1qt of oil over each valvetrain before installing my valve covers, and then I will drain that 2qts of oil out to help flush anything out that might be sitting in the oil pan and refill with fresh oil. I see that the oil pump sucks directly from the bottom of the oil pan which seems strange to me.

Then I will button everything up, make sure fluids are topped off and spin the motor for 3x 10 second intervals before releasing the gas pedal and letting ignition happen.

I will be sure to record the first start for you guys.

I know that if you are reading this I am just another person on the internet but this whole situation has been a huge roadblock in my world. I just bought a house a few months ago and I simply do not have the resources to fix this problem other than my own 2 hands. I hope that if you have been following along in my journey that you enjoyed watching another fellow man turn lemons into lemonade in about 1 months time. And to those that have helped me along the way I am truly grateful to you from the bottom of my heart.

Ivanhoe

Reaction score
Sorry to add more stuff .
New exhaust manifold bolts would be a good idea, I had one snapped before even starting the task. It may save some pain at a later date if you are doing any further work or mods. I did spark plugs also as I was doing maintenance also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add more stuff .
New exhaust manifold bolts would be a good idea, I had one snapped before even starting the task. It may save some pain at a later date if you are doing any further work or mods. I did spark plugs also as I was doing maintenance also.
@Ivanhoe No worries, I have:
new exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts
new intake manifold gaskets
new gaskets for that coolant crossover tube between the heads
new spark plug wires because I destroyed mine during teardown but my sparkplugs are only 6 months old so I am going to reuse them
new dip stick o-ring
new push rods
new felpro valve cover gaskets
new updated valve cover, will swap in the felpro gasket and throw the one it shipped with away
new oil pressure sensor while I was in there - tore my oil pressure sensor screen filter thing so the sensor going in RAW (bad idea?)

I have a few days of planning until I enter the final stretch so I am building a final procedure and parts list.

Ordering fluids, does this thing really take like 4.25 gallons of coolant?

Ivanhoe

Reaction score
I removed the filter in the oil pressure space as it didn't seem to fit with the new valley cover. I'm due an oil.change now having done 5000km no issue with pressure.

I bought coolant from.walmart premixed as it was C$ 5 dollars cheaper a tub than canadian tire. It all adds up ...

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what are these parts included in my exhaust manifold gasket set?
1657311389609.png

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what are these parts included in my exhaust manifold gasket set?
View attachment 374602
No idea. You won’t need them.

Fwiw I prefer the multi-layer steel OEM-style gaskets. No idea how those you have will hold up. Maybe others know about them.

Edit: looks like they’re Fel-pro. They’ll be just fine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu